Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
Hello all,, I have a question in my English book about present perfect and simple past, it's truly confusing and i need your help solving it here's the question :

- Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets and for and since :

I (1) ........................(just/ watch) a TV programme in a series about British authors.

There(2)...............(be) two episodes already- this was the third. Each prgramme is about different writer.

The programme(3).............(last) an hour (4)............(discuss) the writer jane austen. I was especially(5)............(interest) in this programme because I (6)..................... (enjoy) reading Jane Austen's novels and upbringing.

She(8)............(come) from a literary family who gave her a good education. The also(9)................(encourage) her when she wanted to write. In total she(10)....................(write) six novels, as well as some shorter works.

These novels(11).................(become) some of the most popular book of all time. People (12)................(make) many films from her stories. Most are quite traditional, but there (13).............(also/ne) versions set in modern times. Additionally, she (14)............(influence) the writings of many later authors, including ones today.

Wish you to help me. Thanks alot :)

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hi There Smaila

You first :)!
You try answering the questions and we'll correct them.

John

smaila

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
Hi There Smaila

You first :)!
You try answering the questions and we'll correct them.

John

Okay, This is how i answered 1- I have just watched , 2- There was 3-Lasted 4- Discussed 5- Interested 6- I enjoyed 8- came 9- encouraged 10-Has written 11-Have become. 12-Have made 13-Also were 14- Influeneced XDThis is how I answered at class and most of them were wrong , so now it's your turn.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello all,, I have a question in my English book about present perfect and simple past, it's truly confusing and i need your help solving it here's the question :

- Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets and for and since :

I have just watched a TV programme in a series about British authors.

There had been two episodes already- this was the third. Each programme is about different writer.

The programme lasted an hour, and discussed the writer Jane Austen. I was especially(5)............(interest) in this programme because I (6)..................... (enjoy) reading Jane Austen's novels and upbringing.

She(8)............(come) from a literary family who gave her a good education. The also(9)................(encourage) her when she wanted to write. In total she(10)....................(write) six novels, as well as some shorter works.

These novels(11).................(become) some of the most popular book of all time. People (12)................(make) many films from her stories. Most are quite traditional, but there (13).............(also/ne) versions set in modern times. Additionally, she (14)............(influence) the writings of many later authors, including ones today.

Wish you to help me. Thanks alot :)
Okay, This is how i answered 1- I have just watched , 2- There was 3-Lasted 4- Discussed 5- Interested 6- I enjoyed 8- came 9- encouraged 10-Has written 11-Have become. 12-Have made 13-Also were 14- Influeneced XDThis is how I answered at class and most of them were wrong , so now it's your turn.
Try again.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is how I answered at class and most of them were wrong , so now it's your turn.
If you knew most of them were wrong, them there was not much point re-submitting them to us. As bhaisahab said, "Try again." We are happy to help people who make some effort to help themselves.

smaila

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
Try again.

I (1) have just watched(just/ watch) a TV programme in a series about British authors.

There(2) had been (be) two episodes already- this was the third. Each prgramme is about different writer.

The programme(3) lasted (last) an hour (4) discussed (discuss) the writer Jane Austen. I was especially(5) Interested (interest) in this programme because I (6)have enjoyed (enjoy) reading Jane Austen's novels.

She(8) came (come) from a literary family who gave her a good education and upbringing.They also(9) encouraged (encourage) her when she wanted to write. In total she(10) has written (write) six novels, as well as some shorter works.

These novels(11) became (become) some of the most popular book of all time. People (12) made (make) many films from her stories. Most are quite traditional, but there (13) also were (also/ne) versions set in modern times. Additionally, she (14) has influenced (influence) the writings of many later authors, including ones today.

Okay this is me trying again. (Please tell me that's enough)! and thanks for your replay :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I (1) have just watched(just/ watch) a TV programme in a series about British authors.

There(2) had been (be) two episodes already- this was the third. Each prgramme is about different writer.

The programme(3) lasted (last) an hour (4) discussed (discuss) the writer Jane Austen. I was especially(5) Interested (interest) in this programme because I (6)have enjoyed (enjoy) reading Jane Austen's novels.

She(8) came (come) from a literary family who gave her a good education and upbringing.They also(9) encouraged (encourage) her when she wanted to write. In total she(10) wrote (write) six novels, as well as some shorter works.

These novels(11) became (become) some of the most popular books of all time. People (12) have made (make) many films from her stories. Most are quite traditional, but there (13) have also been (also/ne) versions set in modern times. Additionally, she (14) has influenced (influence) the writings of many later authors, including ones today.

Okay this is me trying again. (Please tell me that's enough)! and thanks for your replay :)
Bhai.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The programme lasted an hour (4) discussed (discuss) the writer Jane Austen.
This needs to be either The programme, lasting an hour, discussed ..., or the programme lasted an hour, and discussed...

Last edited:

smaila

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
You don't agree on everything, now I wonder which answer should I use.
And Bhai just one more thing please, in the sentence ( she wrote about six novels) can you please explain why did you use simple past here. Thanks again

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You don't agree on everything, now I wonder which answer should I use.
And Bhai just one more thing please, in the sentence ( she wrote about six novels) can you please explain why did you use simple past here. Thanks again
In my view, if you write "has written", it implies that she might write more, which is impossible.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
bhai's answer was correct; mine was not. I took the sentences in isolation, rather than treating it as a whole text.

Sorry:oops:

ps. I have now deleted my mistake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.