Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello there!

I've got a question: when do we use "to forget about "? I find it hard to see the difference between "to forget something" and "to forget about something".

Cheers

W.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
P1:I still feel terrible for his attitude towards me.
P2:Oh, forget about him(or that for the attitude), we have other problems than him to mind.

or another usage

Forget about what you have known about it untill now, this is completely different than anyone can imagine.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello there!

I've got a question: when do we use "to forget about "? I find it hard to see the difference between "to forget something" and "to forget about something".

Cheers

W.

To Forget something’ has a couple of uses:
§ Overlook it, it's not important
Mr. X: Thanks so much for helping.
Mr. Y:Forget it, it was nothing, (it is a substitute for "don't mention it")
§ To some one who does not want to go deep into the matter
Forget it--you'll never understand this problem. (it means that the possibility of your understanding is remote)
§ do not expect something
The hotel has room service, but forget about anyone serving an elegant meal into your room.

Forget about it” has varied uses, like:
§ No comment" or "I would rather not say”
Charls:: So john, how much money did you make at the race track yesterday?
John : : Forget about it!
§ do not even ask about it,
I enjoyed dinner, but as for the party, well, forget about it!
§ Don't dwell on things in the past.
i should forget about it
§ a response used to another person's statement meaning 'unbelievable' or 'unreal' or 'extraordinary'
Tony Montana took 23 gunshots to the body before being caught by the terrorist.
Listener's response: Forget about it

Last edited:

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
I can't think of an example where 'about' contributes to the meaning of the sentence in any way.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I can't think of an example where 'about' contributes to the meaning of the sentence in any way.
I agree, but there can be differences in usage even if meaning doesn't change.
But in this case, I don't think it is worth the effort trying to differentiate between usages - they overlap, and aren't important.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are times when one works and the other doesn't though.

If you no longer remember a fact, you have forgotten it.
If you no longer remember that something was ever there, or that it might be important, you have forgotten about it.

For example, I know there was something called the Magna Carta. I have not forgotten its very existence. But I don't remember what year it was signed. I have forgotten the date it was signed, but I have not forgotten ABOUT the Magna Carta itself.

Another example: We need to stop by a friend's house to pick something up for him (at his request). We get there and his dog is very aggressive. We would not have agreed to get it for him if we had remembered he had a dog at all. We had forgotten ABOUT the dog. On the other hand, if we get there, but then we can't remember where he said he keeps his spare key, have forgotten the location.

Will17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
There are times when one works and the other doesn't though.

If you no longer remember a fact, you have forgotten it.
If you no longer remember that something was ever there, or that it might be important, you have forgotten about it.

For example, I know there was something called the Magna Carta. I have not forgotten its very existence. But I don't remember what year it was signed. I have forgotten the date it was signed, but I have not forgotten ABOUT the Magna Carta itself.

Another example: We need to stop by a friend's house to pick something up for him (at his request). We get there and his dog is very aggressive. We would not have agreed to get it for him if we had remembered he had a dog at all. We had forgotten ABOUT the dog. On the other hand, if we get there, but then we can't remember where he said he keeps his spare key, have forgotten the location.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

If someone forgets an appointment. Which one will we use in the following case then?: "You've forgotten our appointment!"/ "you 've forgotten about our appointment!"

Cheers
W

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a difficult one. Under my suggested rules above, it should be "about," but it sounds natural to leave that out.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Thanks a lot for your answer.

If someone forgets an appointment. Which one will we use in the following case then?: "You've forgotten our appointment!"/ "you 've forgotten about our appointment!"

Cheers
W

In this case, either one would work. Perhaps you actually forgot that there was an appointment. It is different when it comes to things you never actually forget:
"You forgot my birthday."
Now, while you might say this, it would be clearer to say, "You forgot about my birthday." Sure, you know it always comes on the 19th of January, but you just forgot that it was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.