Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

Is the following sentence correct?

"From Rio to Salvador through the sea shore".

One travels through the city or through the mountains, but by the sea.

I could also travel along the sea shore to get to the next city.

Hi,

Is the following sentence correct?

"From Rio to Salvador through the sea shore".

First, it is not a "sentence". Without knowing the complete context, perhaps it should be "......from Rio to Salvador by sea". Also the "shore" is a land mass that borders the sea.

First, it is not a "sentence". Without knowing the complete context, perhaps it should be "......from Rio to Salvador by sea". Also the "shore" is a land mass that borders the sea.

So what is it, if not a sentence? a group of words? a passage? a typescript?

not a teacher
And It is an adverbial phrase. :)

I thought sentence & phrase were synonyms.

I don't think there aren't equivalent definitions of 'phrase' and 'sentence' in your native language. (I'm sure these terms do exist in all languages and they are all understood in the same way.). Therefore I don't think you couldn't differentiate them even in your language.
This helps open my mind. Thanks!

A sentence must contain a finite verb.

I thought sentence & phrase were synonyms.
"Une phrase" in French is "a sentence" in English. "A phrase" in English is different.

I don't think there aren't equivalent definitions of 'phrase' and 'sentence' in your native language. (I'm sure these terms do exist in all languages and they are all understood in the same way.). Therefore I don't think you couldn't differentiate them even in your language.
This helps open my mind. Thanks!

Phrase in French is sentence in English, and as far as I know it also means phrase. I will try to ask to a French teacher. Sentence in French means condamnation. The difference however exists in Portuguese: Sentença & Frase, like in English.

. I will try to ask [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] a French teacher. Sentence in French means 'condamnatio',.
Only in a very different context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back