Is it correct to use'I 'am going to have to talk to you'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.aadil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I heard someone using this.Is it correct? I mean why did he not use simple like'I 'am going to talk to you'. Why did he use going to+have to+verb?
Is there any difference between both sentence meaning or we can use either of them with same meaning?
Please explain it well. I' d be very grateful to you.(SSorry if I made any mistake in writing I am just a beginner)
Thanks in advance.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is correct to say "I'm going to have to talk to you." You can use "I'm going to talk to you" with the former emphasizing on the importance that I have to talk to you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I heard someone using this. (Space needed after a full stop) Is it correct? I mean why did he not use a simple construction like (space before opening quotation marks) 'I am going to talk to you'? Why did he use going to+have to+verb?
Is there any difference between [STRIKE]both[/STRIKE] the two sentences' meaning or we can use either of them with the same meaning?
Please explain it well. I'd (no spaces around an apostrophe) be very grateful to you. (Space needed after a full stop) (Sorry if I made any mistakes in my writing. I am just a beginner.)
Thanks in advance.

See my corrections above. It is important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Don't put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

In your title (and your post) you used "I 'am" That's wrong. You can write "I am" or "I'm".

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
They're not the same.
"I'm going to talk to you" basically means "I will talk to you."

If we simplify "I am going to have to talk to you", we get "I will have to talk to you." This is about a future obligation.

M.aadil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you so much. You made my day. I was not aware of punctuation rules completely but you made me. So a big thanks & I had a typing issue with my title("I 'am") like with sorry (ss).

M.aadil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you all of you for your kind replies especially a big thanks to emsr2d2 & teechar.

Status
Not open for further replies.