Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello.
In the result of the graded analyser there is a list for word classification indicating what frquency the words analysed in use: in dictionary; in lexicon ...
please make a clear explanation on the different meaning of them . Thank you .

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
LDOCE: dictionary - a book that gives a list of words in alphabetical order and explains their meanings in the same language, or another language
lexicon technical all the words and phrases used in a language or that a particular person knows

You have to consult a dictionary for a word in the lexicon of, say, Hebrew or Harry Potter.

NOT A TEACHER
Jenny

huacunli

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi. thanks for your helpful reply . And by the way, would you please tell me how to take a look at the newest posts here as I'm a newbie ;-) . Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And by the way, would you please tell me how to take a look at the newest posts here as I'm a newbie ;-) . Thank you
Welcome to the forum, huacunli. :hi:

Click on 'New Posts' near the top of the page, on the left.

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi. thanks for your helpful reply . And by the way, would you please tell me how to take a look at the newest posts here as I'm a newbie ;-) . Thank you

Hey, we both are from China! By now we should be crying, shouldn't we? :lol: But I'm afraid I'm in no better position to answer your question than you are yourself, because I'm a newbie too! All I can suggest is post any of your questions about this forum in Support Area. You'll find it at the bottom of the entrance page to this forum. Good luck!

Jenny

huacunli

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Welcome to the forum, huacunli. :hi:

Click on 'New Posts' near the top of the page, on the left.

Thanks a lot for your reply in time. You're the first one of native English-speaking teacher I've ever met since I'v learned
English, your mother tongue. I'm very deeply moved with the knowledge of you. Thank you very much indeed, again.

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot for your reply in time. You're the first one of native English-speaking teacher I've ever met since I'v learned
English, your mother tongue. I'm very deeply moved with the knowledge of you. Thank you very much indeed, again.

Congrats, dear comrade! I'm sure you'll have many good times with just as many ESL teachers here! And the "knowledge" of them all! :lol:

Jenny

huacunli

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hey, we both are from China! By now we should be crying, shouldn't we? :lol: But I'm afraid I'm in no better position to answer your question than you are yourself, because I'm a newbie too! All I can suggest is post any of your questions about this forum in Support Area. You'll find it at the bottom of the entrance page to this forum. Good luck!

Jenny

Yeah, you're right indeed. I'm sure we would burst into tears if we met in Europe or somewhere else abroad.
Glad to meet you, and good luck to you all the same.

huacunli

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Congrats, dear comrade! I'm sure you'll have many good times with just as many ESL teachers here! And the "knowledge" of them all! :lol:

Jenny

:-o Why are you so laughing? Are you serious? :cry:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Jenny

I'm afraid I may be guilty of misleading you by another post, in which I addressed another member as 'comrade'. In that context (a discussion of English's lack of a polite form of address for an equal) it was a joke :oops: ;-). It's not normal to address someone as 'comrade'.

b

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm afraid I may be guilty of misleading you by another post, in which I addressed another member as 'comrade'. In that context (a discussion of English's lack of a polite form of address for an equal) it was a joke :oops: ;-). It's not normal to address someone as 'comrade'.

b

Hi Bob, your guilt was quite unnecessary. I was joking too. I was saying that because "comrade" was once a very common term to address people whom you met the first time or whom you considered respectable in China. It's fading out now, and Mister/Miss/Ms is taking over the reign of Chinese formal greetings. :)

Jenny

Jenny

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:-o Why are you so laughing? Are you serious? :cry:

Well, I was serious with the "good times" part. Sorry for my poor manner in the latter part. I am sometimes too easy-going, and so self-assured that I find it hard to doubt anyone would question my good intentions or have trouble understanding them. Well, I laughed because I thought what you wrote was ... cute: I'm very deeply moved with the knowledge of you. I understand what it must have meant for you, for us Chinese English-learners, to meet foreigners, to communicate with them as we get to do now. But it's a little too much for you to say that. Maybe "I'm very happy/thrilled meeting you here" would do...in my opinion.

Jenny

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, as BobK mentioned, "comrade" is no longer used with any regularity. Also note that in the past, "comrade" had a derisive meaning, as a result of the cold war with the USSR.

huacunli

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Well, I was serious with the "good times" part. Sorry for my poor manner in the latter part. I am sometimes too easy-going, and so self-assured that I find it hard to doubt anyone would question my good intentions or have trouble understanding them. Well, I laughed because I thought what you wrote was ... cute: I'm very deeply moved with the knowledge of you. I understand what it must have meant for you, for us Chinese English-learners, to meet foreigners, to communicate with them as we get to do now. But it's a little too much for you to say that. Maybe "I'm very happy/thrilled meeting you here" would do...in my opinion.

Jenny

Hi, Jenny
Sorry for my late replying. I am so glad to read your a little longer essay to me that I have read it several times without a stop sensing that you are pouring much more emotion on it. It doesn't matter to have a kidding between friends, even the new ones like us. In fact, so am I a joke maker. And, what is more, that you didn't even say anything with bad manner at all, did you? So It is unnecessary for you to apologise for anything. And last but not the least, your English is great and I like it very much. I wish I could learn more from you and your replies
with folksy, popular and oral English.

best regards

:n00b:

Status
Not open for further replies.