Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I found a question like this. Which of these three verbs is appropriate in the sentence??

The temperature outside can [vary / differ / shift] from 40 degrees Celsius during the day to 1 degree Celsius at night.

I looked up several dictionaries but in my eyes these three words [vary/ differ /shift] have the meaning of "change" so all of these three words look ok to me.

What is the difference among these words and which one can be used and which one can't?

Thank you for reading this.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello Beluga, and welcome to the forum. :)
I found a question like this. Which of these three verbs is appropriate in the sentence?
Please tell us where you found that question (provide a link).

I looked up several dictionaries, but [STRIKE]in my eyes[/STRIKE] to me, these three words [vary/ differ /shift] have the meaning of "change", so all of these three words look [STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK/okay to me.

What is the difference [STRIKE]among[/STRIKE] between these words, and which one can be used and which one can't?
In that sentence, I would use "vary" or "range" because those imply a range of temperatures (not just two values). I would not use "differ", and "shift" suggests a direct change from 0 to 40 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.