Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
For the sake of god, please help me.... pls... pls....

What is the opposite of 'upper class'?
1. underclass
2. lower class
3. working class

Thank you.
(fleeting Chinese New Year is gone) :-(

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Lower class.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
It depends. There are different theories and descriptions of class that apply to different places and times.

What is the context?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Some people may find this offensive, panicmonger.
Also, it's completely the wrong place to use this phrase - in a new thread before you've even asked the question.
It's used as an indication of frustration, for example if no one is trying to help you, or you've asked a half a dozen times and no one's replied.
And the trivial nature of your question doesn't seem to warrant such a cry of angst.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some people may find this offensive, panicmonger.

Not just potentially offensive, but also wrong; and, besides, inappropriate.

If something is particularly important to you, you may feel a need to say 'For God's sake'; not 'for the sake' of anyone. But this degree of urgency is not likely to arise unless you've been trying in vain for some time: 'I've been asking this for months, and nobody will answer me. I need to know for an exam I'm taking tomorrow morning. For ....' (Some people will still find it offensive though. ;-))

b

panicmonger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Not just potentially offensive, but also wrong; and, besides, inappropriate.
(Some people will still find it offensive though. ;-)
b
Thank you for your advice.
I don't know it can be so offensive, because I heard it a lot on TV and English movies/series.

I like watching western series very much.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for your advice.
I don't know it can be so offensive, because I heard it a lot on TV and English movies/series.

I like watching western series very much.
Even in those movies, it's offensive to people who consider using God's name without a good reason a bad thing. There are two reasons however which make your usage even more offensive and they were both given by other posters.

1. As Dave said, you didn't capitalize the word "God". It's customary to capitalize the word and even non-believers usually do it. When you don't do that, it looks like you're disrespecting God and/or those who believe in Him. Some people do it intentionally and it looked as if you had been doing so too.

2. As Ray said, your "cry of angst" was completely out of place, which made your taking the Lord's name in vain even more in vain.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As BC (and SD previously, I think) have used the expression 'in vain' in a specialized sense, I should explain my use of that expression in a more general sense. They are distinct (though related):

Specialized: 'taking the name of the Lord in vain ' = using the name of God in an inappropriate context

General: 'in vain' = with no success, to no effect

They are related in that some people do (and most people did, in the days when 'taking the name of the Lord in vain' was first used) believe that naming God has an effect. What that effect is thought to be is a matter that should not be discussed in this forum.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.