How to distinguish the vowel sound between "Right" and "Buy" in phonetics symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldeng

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
How to distinguish the vowel sound between "Right" and "Buy" in phonetics symbol?

The vowel sound ɑɪ of "Right" is slightly different from that of "Buy", I wonder how do we distinguish their sound difference of ɑɪ when using phonetics symbol.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: How to distinguish the vowel sound between "Right" and "Buy" in phonetics symbol?

The differences, mainly in length, are so slight that few except phoneticians are even aware that it exists. In phonemic transcription, the vowel sounds of both right and buy are the same -/ aɪ/. In broad phonetic transcription the vowel of the former can be transcribed as /aːɪ/, and of the latter /aɪ/. The symbols used in narrow transcription will depend on the sounds produced by the individual speaker.

Last edited:

worldeng

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Re: How to distinguish the vowel sound between "Right" and "Buy" in phonetics symbol?

The vowel sound of Right is shorter, Buy is longer but both use /aɪ/ in IPA expression

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

The vowel sound of Right is shorter, Buy is longer but both use /aɪ/ in IPA expression
We use /aɪ/ for both in phonemic transcription.

jadeJ

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The vowels in both words 'right' and 'buy' are the same /ɑɪ/ and to my ears sound exactly the same. My tip is to not overthink tiny details of sound.
If these words sound as if they have different vowels to you, then perhaps in your accent they do contain different vowels. Notice that the spellings of these words are very different, which could lead your eye/ear to think the pronunciation ought to be different.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The vowels in both words 'right' and 'buy' are the same /ɑɪ/ and to my ears sound exactly the same. My tip is to not overthink tiny details of sound.
If these words sound as if they have different vowels to you, then perhaps in your accent they do contain different vowels. Notice that the spellings of these words are very different, which could lead your eye/ear to think the pronunciation ought to be different.
In American English, they're slightly different. Buy rhymes with eye. They start with a more open-mouthed ah sound and diphthong into an ee.

The i in right is, well, tighter, more closed-mouthed. It starts with more of an eh sound and go to the ee.

But I don't know how you'd write either one phonetically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.