Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Jim is teasing or joking saying "Mel and her friend Holly played sexually with many guys" and what does "raising hell" mean? Does it mean "protest getting angry"? Why did they have to do it? Or just "making a fuss"?

gw2-13
Jim- Back in the day when you two were a couple of single girls, raising hell and breaking hearts in the city?
Mel- All right, she was the one who played the field, I was merely the spectator. It's gonna be great having her live in Grandview.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
what does "raising hell" mean?

In this context it usually means having a lot of fun, getting a little rowdy and maybe causing a bit of relatively harmless trouble here and there. But it can also refer to more extreme and destructive behaviour.

not a teacher

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And it does not mean they "played sexually with many guys"! It means they were fun, maybe flirty women, and a lot of guys wanted to date them or be their boyfriends, but the guys were not successful in getting them as their girlfriend.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, "played the field" can certainly mean that.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
However, "played the field" can certainly mean that.

It *can* but doesn't have to. It can also simply mean she dated many guys casually, but no-one seriously as she kept her options open. I don't think the phrase implies any level of sexual activity (low or high) at all.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

This link (top one when you use the google search link on the link you provided) play the field - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. agrees it can be romantic OR sexual.

Urban Dictionary: play the field also doesn't focus on the sexual aspect - and let's face it, normally if urban dictionary *can* it *will*!

The top (non dictionary) google result was this: The RSPB: News: Gulls play the field in UK schools - I hardly think the RSPB would use it as a headline in an article aimed at children if there was such a clear sexual connotation as you suggest.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The RSPB is stretching here for a clever headline, and I think I see the marks. In my neck of the words, “playing the field” has a clear connotation of sexual promiscuity, and if I weren’t a native speaker, I would avoid using this idiom.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It *can* but doesn't have to. It can also simply mean she dated many guys casually, but no-one seriously as she kept her options open. I don't think the phrase implies any level of sexual activity (low or high) at all.

I agree with Tullia! In AmE it is possible to 'play the field' without engaging in sexual activity.

Perhaps it is time to change the UE definition of this idiom.:cool:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't see "playing the field" one way or the other. The context would probably tell me whether it was simply dating or sexual (although these days I imagine dating probably involves sexual activity anyway).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This American speaker does not feel it implies she was having a lot of sex with many men. It only means that she did not date any one person seriously.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bottom line: One does not need to 'score' in order to 'play the field'!!! :cool:

Cheers,
A4

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have added the dating possibility, but it is still just sexual to me. :up:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with Tullia! In AmE it is possible to 'play the field' without engaging in sexual activity.

Perhaps it is time to change the UE definition of this idiom.:cool:
:up: 'The field' is all the contestants available to be backed. If you bet all your money on one horse you have a limited chance of winning. If you 'play the field' you back every horse; you lose several stakes, but you are bound to have money on the winner. (To use another idiom, you have 'hedged your bets'.)

This image has an obvious, almost traditional, implication of sexual activity in some contexts: "You've been going out with her since you were 16. Don't you think you should play the field a bit before you settle down?" But I agree that the UE definition could do with an update.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.