Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If I'm going to use the verb ''to pleasure", could I use it with the preposition "in" as in "I'm going to be pleasuring in seeing you for a while." to mean "seeking pleasure in"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I'm going to use the verb ''to pleasure", could I use it with the preposition "in" as in "I'm going to be pleasuring in seeing you for a while."?

No. "To pleasure" means "to give pleasure to someone else" or "to make someone else feel happy". It also has a sexual connotation so be careful how you use it.

For your sentence, you probably need "I'm going to take pleasure in being with you for a while" or something similar, although "I'm going to enjoy your company for a while" would be much better.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No. "To pleasure" means "to give pleasure to someone else" or "to make someone else feel happy". It also has a sexual connotation so be careful how you use it.

For your sentence, you probably need "I'm going to take pleasure in being with you for a while" or something similar, although "I'm going to enjoy your company for a while" would be much better.

"" Responses in letters to the editor included such remarks as these: critics of Levin's ilk " serve only the continued dominance of a particular gender, class, and culture " by appealing to pleasure in literary study (Daniel Boyarin, 1991)" Would it be conveying any sexual meaning here?

Furthermore, my Webster gives two definitions that are not sex related. 1)to take pleasure: delight 2)to seek pleasure

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"" Responses in letters to the editor included such remarks as these: critics of Levin's ilk " serve only the continued dominance of a particular gender, class, and culture " by appealing to pleasure in literary study (Daniel Boyarin, 1991)" Would it be conveying any sexual meaning here?

Furthermore, my Webster gives two definitions that are not sex related. 1)to take pleasure: delight 2)to seek pleasure

"To take pleasure" and "to seek pleasure" are not the same as "to pleasure".

I think "appealing to pleasure in literary study" should be broken down into "appealing to + pleasure + in + literary study".

Do you understand what "to appeal to" means?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"To take pleasure" and "to seek pleasure" are not the same as "to pleasure".

I think "appealing to pleasure in literary study" should be broken down into "appealing to + pleasure + in + literary study".

Do you understand what "to appeal to" means?
Yes. There were the two intransitive definitions given by the Webster dictionary. I guess it can be interpreted both ways.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes. There were the two intransitive definitions given by the Webster dictionary. I guess it can be interpreted both ways.
But you haven't said what these phrases were definitions of.
Besides "to pleasure someone/thing" is not intransitive. And you can't use "to pleasure" intrasitively. In your quote of Boyarin, "pleasure" is a noun.

Status
Not open for further replies.