[Answered] Can't we end a sentence with a preposition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

I have read a thread here and I noticed that it said that a sentence cannot be completed with a preposition. I am not aware of that so I want to make sure about that. In our day to day speaking, we could hear that "who are you going with there?" and there are more expressions like that we can hear. I wonder whether this "impossible to end a sentence with a preposition" rule is only for written English.

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
​.
Forget it, kite; you can end a sentence with as many prepositions as you like.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We didn't say you can't end a sentence with a preposition. We said that perhaps some learners are still being taught that you can't. That is an outdated grammatical concept.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Dear teachers,

I have read a thread here and I noticed that it said that a sentence cannot be completed with a preposition. I am not aware of that so I want to make sure about that. In our day to day speaking, we could hear that "who are you going with there?" and there are more expressions like that we can hear. I wonder whether this "impossible to end a sentence with a preposition" rule is only for written English.

Thanks.

If you want the preposition at the end, use Who are you going there with?, which is fine. You can end sentences with prepositions.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want the preposition at the end, use Who are you going there with?, which is fine. You can end sentences with prepositions.

Or "whom are you going there with". Different issue.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's rare in BrE. if we are being formal enough to use 'whom'. we are probably being formal enough to say 'With whom are you going there'.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

What do you by different issue, Mike? I remember my teacher taught that "whom" is the main for of your sentence but he had also mentioned that "whom" is outdated so now "who" is used instead of "whom". Is my teacher right? I am still following that rule. Did you mention "different issue" in terms of that case?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What do you by different issue, Mike? I remember my teacher taught that "whom" is the main for of your sentence but he had also mentioned that "whom" is outdated so now "who" is used instead of "whom". Is my teacher right? I am still following that rule. Did you mention "different issue" in terms of that case?

You don't need to use "whom".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

There were two issues: the use of who/whom and ending a sentence with a preposition. I sill use "whom" and I know many people who do. However, many young people rarely use "whom". I do frequently end sentences with prepositions.

Status
Not open for further replies.