Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Do native speakers really say this? I have attended many functions and when native English speakers kindly offer to pour drink for me, I've never heard of them use this.

Also, I do say 'when' rather then 'yes/enough thanks...', right?

thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it can be used in any number of "pouring" situations.

You can say anything to indicate that you have been given enough. Like "OK," or "Stop" or "that's good."

Actually saying "when" is more of a comedic thing to say.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is used, but it's not really very formal so you wouldn't hear it at, say, a work event. It's more used with children I think.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[AmE - not a teacher]

I've heard the response "when" used at casual events and at the most formal of events. It's not "formal", of course, but it's whimsical, and no one would fault you for using it, IMO.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't use it comedically or only with children. I use it all the time. Whenever I pour wine, I say "Say when" to the person whose glass I am pouring into. They either say "When" or "That's enough" or something similar. However, I always use "Say when" and have been doing so for most of my life.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't use it comedically or only with children. I use it all the time. Whenever I pour wine, I say "Say when" to the person whose glass I am pouring into. They either say "When" or "That's enough" or something similar. However, I always use "Say when" and have been doing so for most of my life.

Just to be clear I meant that actually answering "when" is kind of joke-y. To ask someone to say when is common.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just to be clear I meant that actually answering "when" is kind of joke-y. To ask someone to say when is common.

Ah, I see. Fair point. Yes, I probably "When" but with a slight laugh too.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: It's a bit like the old 'Say goodnight Dick' line. Dick isn't supposed to say 'Goodnight Dick'.

Saying 'when' is jokey in the same way, misinterpreting the command as 'Say "When"' rather than ' Say [i.e. tell me] when [I have poured enough].'

Another common response is 'Wo'.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do native speakers really say this? I have attended many functions and when native English speakers kindly offer to pour drink for me, I've never heard of them use this.

Also, I do say 'when' rather then 'yes/enough thanks...', right?

thanks
And to answer your first question, yes. Possibly you haven't heard it because the traditional usage - 'Say when'/'...When' - involves recognition of a gentle joke - which perhaps dissuades people from addressing it to language students. (I'm not sure I would.)

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up: It's a bit like the old 'Say goodnight Dick' line. Dick isn't supposed to say 'Goodnight Dick'.

Saying 'when' is jokey in the same way, misinterpreting the command as 'Say "When"' rather than ' Say [i.e. tell me] when [I have poured enough].'

Another common response is 'Wo'.

b

Probably "whoa," like you'd say to a horse.

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
sorry what's 'whoa' Is it possible to write a phonetic transcription to it? I find it really interesting when you say this word/sound is said to a horse, as if it could understand this word/sound.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
sorry what's 'whoa' Is it possible to write a phonetic transcription to it? I find it really interesting when you say this word/sound is said to a horse, as if it could understand this word/sound.

Whoa | Define Whoa at Dictionary.com

The dictionary is our friend.

Do you think it strange that an animal can be trained to "understand" some commands? I don't. Animals may lack the fullness of language, but higher animals can surely learn to associate certain sounds with certain behaviors.

My dog knows when you say his name and he understands enough to act guilty if you ask him if he's been eating the cat food.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My dog clearly knew the word for "walk." So we started spelling it. I can't pretend she could spell, but she soon learned that "double u" also meant "walk."

Status
Not open for further replies.