Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In my high school days, all my English teachers claimed that "unless" and "if not" were always interchangeable. But, some years later, I encountered a sentence to which such claim cannot be applicable. I thought about "unless" for some time and came to the conclusion that "unless" means "if and only if not". In order to confirm my conclusion, I examined some sample sentences from my textbooks.

Please look at the sentences below:

(A) I'll go unless it rains.
(B) I'll go if and only if it does not rain.
(C) I'll go if it doesn't rain.
(D) I'll be surprised if Mary doesn't win.
(E) I'll be surprised unless Mary wins.

My observations on these sentences are:

[1] (A) and (B) have the same meaning (according to my conclusion above), although I suppose that native English speakers would not use (B) under any circumstances.

[2] (C) is superficially different from (B), but I think that (C) connotes "I won't go if it rains." Hence (B) and (C) are the same in meaning.

[3] (D) and (E) are not interchangeable. I think that (E) is incorrect or absurd.

Am I right?

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been corrected. The original post contains a careless mistake.
The second (D) in [3] in the original post should be (E).

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are mostly right. A,B and C mean pretty much the same thing. As for D, the speaker expects Mary to win and will be surprised if she doesn't. E makes no sense to me.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Conclusion 1 is more or less correct. If and only if is certainly unlikely, if not completely impossible.

Conclusion 2 is correct. The first part of conclusion 3 is correct, but sentence D is fine.

Last edited:

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
You are mostly right. A,B and C mean pretty much the same thing. As for D, the speaker expects Mary to win and will be surprised if she doesn't. E makes no sense to me.

As soon as I saw your reply, I noticed that I had made a careless mistake in my original post. The second (D) in [3] should be (E). I apologize.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Conclusion 1 is more or less correct. If and only if is certainly unlikely, if not completely impossible.

Conclusion is correct. The first part of conclusion 3 is correct, but sentence D is fine.
I made a careless mistake in my original post. The second (D) in [3] should be (E). I apologize.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.