Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Could you just tell me if there's any uncommon expression in here and if any interpretation is wrong?

1.She's above telling a lie - She never tells a lie
2.He is a good mixer - He is very good at socializing with others
3.You know that I'm as good as my word - I never say anything not trustworthy, I only say the truth
4.He is on top of things- He always does things perfectly.
5.His bark is worse than his bite. - His nature is not that bad as it seems.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
1.She's above telling a lie - She never tells a lie.
"She never tells a lie" is, presumably, a statement of fact, whereas "She is above telling a lie" emphasizes that this is a particular moral strength of hers.
2.He is a good mixer - He is very good at socializing with others. OK
3.You know that I'm as good as my word - I never say anything not trustworthy, I only say the truth.
Most commonly when a promise is made to do something in the future: "I said that I'll pay you back on Monday and you know I'm as good as my word".
More often, well organised, highly capable, well informed. If he also does everything perfectly then hire him!
5.His bark is worse than his bite. - His nature is not as bad as it seems.

not a teacher

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1.She's above telling a lie - She never tells a lie.
"She never tells a lie" is, presumably, a statement of fact, whereas "She is above telling a lie" emphasizes that this is a particular moral strength of hers.:tick: This association of height with morality is common in various other expressions - such as 'take the moral high ground' [=make a show of being morally better]
2.He is a good mixer - He is very good at socializing with others. OK:tick:
3.You know that I'm as good as my word - I never say anything not trustworthy, I only say the truth.
Most commonly when a promise is made to do something in the future: "I said that I'll pay you back on Monday and you know I'm as good as my word".:tick:
More often, well organised, highly capable, well informed. If he also does everything perfectly then hire him! :-? It can be used in this way, but the words themselves are not intrinsically predictive. 'He's on top of things' can just mean 'He has everything under control'.
5.His bark is worse than his bite. - His nature is not as bad as it seems.
:up: - but to my ear there's an element of loudness. If a person's bark is worse than his bite, you can bet he's not quietly intimidating.

not a teacher
Note that I'm not trying to 'correct' anything that JM says. Just, particularly in view of his closing words, I thought the other readers might want confirmation. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.