Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use the definite or the indefinite article before each noun? Does either "as I said above" or "as I said before" work?

I know about a few of Da Vinci's inventions such as the/a parachute, the/a bicycle, a/the driving suit, and a/the search light. As as said above/before his inventions are used for the purpose of a method of movement of the ground and under water and exploring the underwater world.(I mean it's used to explore the way the earth moves and how it moves underwater and the underwater world too). This led to the appearance of inventions such as a submarine.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I know about a few of Da Vinci's inventions such as the/a parachute, the/a bicycle, a/the driving suit, and a/the search light.
You need "the" in those, but I think you meant "diving suit" instead of "driving suit".
As as said above/before
Where did you say that?
his inventions are used for the purpose of a method of movement of the ground and under water and exploring the underwater world.(I mean it's used to explore helped us understand the way the earth moves and how it moves underwater and discover the underwater world too. This led to the appearance of They were basic prototypes that helped lead to later inventions such as a the submarine.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You need "the" in those, but I think you meant "diving suit" instead of "driving suit".

Where did you say that?
I mean it was mentioned before but I didn't write that part here. Is either correct? "As I said above/as I said before."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, you can use either, or you can say "As mentioned above" if you want to avoid using "I".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

I know about a few of DaVinci's ideas, such as a parachute, as bicycle, a diving suit, and a search light.

If you need to say you have discussed the subject in a previous paragraph you could say "As mentioned before".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I would say:

I know about a few of DaVinci's ideas, such as a parachute, as bicycle, a diving suit, and a search light.

If you need to say you have discussed the subject in a previous paragraph you could say "As mentioned before".
I am confused. So the indefinite article is also correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Like teechar, I would use the definite article.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Perhaps it's an AmE thing, but to me, only the definite article works.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I would imagine that said by a contemporary of DaVinci when he came up with those things and they hadn't been fully realized yet. But speaking of well-known inventions, I'd only use "the", too.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What did DaVinci invent? I have heard that he had some ideas for things that he made sketches of, but does that qualify as inventions?

If the Wright brothers had only made drawings of aircraft would they still be considered the inventors of the airplane?

If Edison had put the light bulb only on paper would he still be considered the inventor of the lightbulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.