Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use the definite or the indefinite article before each noun? Does either "as I said above" or "as I said before" work?

I know about a few of Da Vinci's inventions such as the/a parachute, the/a bicycle, a/the driving suit, and a/the search light. As as said above/before his inventions are used for the purpose of a method of movement of the ground and under water and exploring the underwater world.(I mean it's used to explore the way the earth moves and how it moves underwater and the underwater world too). This led to the appearance of inventions such as a submarine.

I know about a few of Da Vinci's inventions such as the/a parachute, the/a bicycle, a/the driving suit, and a/the search light.
You need "the" in those, but I think you meant "diving suit" instead of "driving suit".
As as said above/before
Where did you say that?
his inventions are used for the purpose of a method of movement of the ground and under water and exploring the underwater world.(I mean it's used to explore helped us understand the way the earth moves and how it moves underwater and discover the underwater world too. This led to the appearance of They were basic prototypes that helped lead to later inventions such as a the submarine.

You need "the" in those, but I think you meant "diving suit" instead of "driving suit".

Where did you say that?
I mean it was mentioned before but I didn't write that part here. Is either correct? "As I said above/as I said before."

Yes, you can use either, or you can say "As mentioned above" if you want to avoid using "I".

I would say:

I know about a few of DaVinci's ideas, such as a parachute, as bicycle, a diving suit, and a search light.

If you need to say you have discussed the subject in a previous paragraph you could say "As mentioned before".

I would say:

I know about a few of DaVinci's ideas, such as a parachute, as bicycle, a diving suit, and a search light.

If you need to say you have discussed the subject in a previous paragraph you could say "As mentioned before".
I am confused. So the indefinite article is also correct?

Like teechar, I would use the definite article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps it's an AmE thing, but to me, only the definite article works.

I would imagine that said by a contemporary of DaVinci when he came up with those things and they hadn't been fully realized yet. But speaking of well-known inventions, I'd only use "the", too.

Last edited:
What did DaVinci invent? I have heard that he had some ideas for things that he made sketches of, but does that qualify as inventions?

If the Wright brothers had only made drawings of aircraft would they still be considered the inventors of the airplane?

If Edison had put the light bulb only on paper would he still be considered the inventor of the lightbulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back