Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
This is about a questionnaire.
In BrE, you say "Please tick all that apply." In AmE, you say "Please check all that apply."
If it's a questionnaire to be filled in by various kinds of English-speaking people (such as pepole from the US, UK, Australia, and New Zealand), how should I write?
How about "Please place a check mark to all that apply"?

Thank you.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Canadians understand and use both tick and check. If you want something universal how about mark? "Mark each box that applies" works for me.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Please :tick: each box that applies.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Canadians understand and use both tick and check. If you want something universal how about mark? "Mark each box that applies" works for me.

I am not sure all Americans will understand "tick". I think "mark" is good choice.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am not sure all Americans will understand "tick". I think "mark" is good choice.

But some would mark it with an :cross:. Would that invalidate your questionnaire, pinkie?

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
But some would mark it with an :cross:. Would that invalidate your questionnaire, pinkie?
Technically, :cross: is a cross mark, not a check/tick mark. But if that happens, I guess we would regard it as the same as a check mark not to invalidate our questionnaire.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Technically, :cross: is a cross mark, not a check/tick mark. But if that happens, I guess we would regard it as the same as a check mark not to invalidate our questionnaire.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'technically'; in fact, I seldom am when anyone says it. ;-)

Written language is, I'm afraid, mediated widely through Windows. Windows has checkboxes and when you click them (to signify yes) Windows fills them in with a :cross:.

I don't see the need to resist Rover's suggestion. In a document that has to work in many languages and cultures, pictures are clearer than words.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If the instructions are by the boxes they have to mark/check/tick, it will be clear to most people what you want. However, could you use a word and a graphic?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it a handwritten form or will they be completing it online?

Status
Not open for further replies.