Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
[00:02]

What is the meaning of to tick almost all of our boxes on this programme. I suspect that it is said figuratively to mean to commend the programme?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whenever we say that something "ticks all the/my/our boxes", it means it fulfils all the criteria for something. Let's say that that radio show's host's favourite stories are ones that have elements of humour, violence and lettuce (yes, a ridiculous list, I know). If he finds a story about violence, it's ticked one of the boxes. If he finds a story with elements of humour and lettuce, it's ticked two of the boxes. However, the day he finds a story containing all three elements, he can shout "Eureka! I've finally found it. A story that ticks all my boxes!"

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Whenever we say that something "ticks all the/my/our boxes", it means it fulfils all the criteria for something. Let's say that that radio show's host's favourite stories are ones that have elements of humour, violence and lettuce (yes, a ridiculous list, I know). If he finds a story about violence, it's ticked one of the boxes. If he finds a story with elements of humour and lettuce, it's ticked two of the boxes. However, the day he finds a story containing all three elements, he can shout "Eureka! I've finally found it. A story that ticks all my boxes!"
And if all the criteria for the programme are fulfilled, then how it would affect the appointment (or whether the context is not clear about this as the logic of the host sometimes/typically is)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you mean by "the appointment"?

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What do you mean by "the appointment"?
As the presenter says, if all the citeria are fulfilled, then it would be the appointment [of the officer] - he uses the word "appointment" at 00:07.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sue Gray, who led one of the inquries into Boris Johnson's behaviour during lockdown, has been given a job (the appointment) by the leader of the opposition party. If you add to this the reaction of the right wing press, then you have a story that delights the presenter (ticks all the boxes). It's not an official list of requirements- just a story that entertains him and illustrates something of modern Britain to him.

Reactions: 5jj

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Sue Gray, who led one of the inquries into Boris Johnson's behaviour during lockdown, has been given a job (the appointment) by the leader of the opposition party. If you add to this the reaction of the right wing press, then you have a story that delights the presenter (ticks all the boxes). It's not an official list of requirements- just a story that entertains him and illustrates something of modern Britain to him.
As the committe is the House of Commons privileges committee, what is the meaning of the programme which the presenter refers to?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He is referring to an imaginary committee trying to make a story guaranteed to affect him, not the committee investigating Johnson. We use the metaphorical idea of a committee to suggest that people with differing views came together to achieve something. In this particular context, things get complicated because there are genuine committees looking into Johnson's behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.