Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

What expressions or verbs do native speakers use in a sentence like mine 'I went out to see the city its cobbled streets and architecture.' Does 'to do sights' and 'do the sightseeing' work here?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't "do the sightseeing". We "go sightseeing". You might hear someone say "I'm going out today to do all the sights ..." but "do the sights" isn't a set phrase.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
We don't "do the sightseeing". We "go sightseeing". You might hear someone say "I'm going out today to do all the sights ..." but "do the sights" isn't a set phrase.
Thank you but what do you mean by saying it is not a set phrase? If I said 'I am going out to do sights' or 'to do the sights' would my sentence be correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you but what do you mean by saying it is not a set phrase? If I said 'I am going out to do sights' or 'to do the sights' would my sentence be correct?
I'm pretty sure the definite article is required in the British English expression do the sights. We see the sights In American English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The article is required in "do the sights". What I meant by "not a set phrase" is that although you might hear native speakers use it, it's not a fixed expression - you won't find "do the sights" in a dictionary or English usage list. By "do", a native speaker would, effectively, mean "look at" or "see". Some of the "sights" might be things you do more than look at - you might take a tour or similar.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I went out to see the city[STRIKE] its [/STRIKE]'s cobbled streets and architecture.'

The sentence is not correct as it stands as there is no link "the street" and the phrase that follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.