Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
would you please, tell me why it's not correct if I followed the rule- past simple is used to talk about an action that interrupts and past continous is used to talk about an action that is interrupted

It's because that isn't what the sentence means. The sentence doesn't describe an action that is interrupted by another action.

The city was going about its business [This describes a past situation]

without knowing the aliens had arrived. [The aliens arrived before the past situation, so you need past perfect]

Perhaps you're misunderstanding the sentence to mean this:

The city was going about its business when the aliens arrived.

In this sentence, the action expressed by the aliens arrived interrupts the ongoing situation of The city was going about its business.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
1, The city was going about its business without knowing the aliens had arrived.
2. The city was going about its business when the aliens arrived.

1. The city was going about its business. The aliens were already there.
2. The city was going about its business. The aliens arrived during this activity.

mella@mella

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
You don't seem to have taken any notice of my previous corrections. You misspelled "continuous" for the third of fourth time. You used a comma instead of a full stop twice. You missed out an article. You failed to capitalise the first word of a sentence. Please go back and re-read all the previous posts and look very carefully at the corrections. You need to get the basics right before worrying about anything else.
I've started learning English just two months before, please be patient with my mistakes.I'll do my best.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK