[Vocabulary] What's the word for this....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo_Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, teachers:

I remember seeing somewhere a word describing the state of middle-aged people getting fatter . I can't recall the spelling. Only vaguely remember it starting with "be" and ending with "ment". It's a noun, obviously. consists of an adjective + suffix ment

the word is "be****ment" I can't remember the letters in the middle.

However I might recall it wrong. I'm not sure it starts with "be-"

Anyone can help me with this??

The only phrase I can think of is "middle age spread" or "middle-aged spread" but that involves neither your "be-" or "-ment". It also refers to the actual fat that accumulates around one's waist area.

befattlement? :shock:

The closest match I've been able to find is "benumbment" (which is related to getting fatter). If this is not it, then I'm pretty sure that it's either not a "be--ment" word, or it's some kind of nonce word, difficult to find by searching online resources.

Thanks, everybody. Sorry I might have remembered it wrong. Maybe it ends with "-ness". And I'm not so sure if it starts with "be-" I think I mixed it up with a totally unrelated word"bewilderment".

The word I'm looking for is definitely a noun.

I saw it in a forum when someone was talking about a beautiful lady:

"Despite the ******,she's still a gorgeous woman. "

(The lady in question had put on a lot of weight over the years)

Shame I can't find the post whatsoever.

Not a nonce word, I'm pretty sure. I remember looking it up in an old dictionary and it was there. Just now I can't remember which one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back