Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi everyone
What "but the closest" means in this text:
The third category was Jewish families, but the closest they got to "concentration camps" was in certain Durchgangslager, transit camps, which in some cases were independent camps such as Westerbork in the Netherlands[64] and others (to be mentioned) and in some cases were separate compounds, which existed at some concentration camps, e.g. Belsen, possibly Dachau,[65] and others (to be mentioned).
Please someone help me!
Bye

ARAM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please somebody help me understanding this text.
I'm watting for help!
Somebody!!!!!!!
Anybody!!!!!!!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please somebody help me understanding this text.
I'm watting for help!
Somebody!!!!!!!
Anybody!!!!!!!
Patience! (One exclamation mark is sufficient.) We are doing this in our own free time. Sometimes you may have to wait a little before one of us gets round to dealing with your question. Boring things such as sleeping, eating and working may delay us.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Patience! (One exclamation mark is sufficient.) We are doing this in our own free time. Sometimes you may have to wait a little before one of us gets round to dealing with your question. Boring things such as sleeping, eating and working may delay us.

ARAM: I suspect 5jj would have answered but chose not to out of annoyance at your lack of patience. Bumping an unanswered thread in under a day can have this sort of paradoxical effect. ;-)

Back at the thread -

The third class of person dealt with in some expatriation effort was 'Jewish families'. But 'third class' begins to suggest ill-treatment - so the text says 'but...'. In the context of Jewish families and forced movement of people, 'concentration camps' come to mind. [Interestingly, the idea of concentration camps wasn't an original Nazi production; it was British, during the Boer war. But I digress.]

But the text wants to emphasize that the treatment at the transit camps was not nearly as inhumane as at the concentration camps. Not near = close. In terms of living conditions, the transit camps didn't come close to the concentration camps. Hence, 'but the closest they got to "concentration camps" ...'.

b

ARAM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
ARAM: I suspect 5jj would have answered but chose not to out of annoyance at your lack of patience. Bumping an unanswered thread in under a day can have this sort of paradoxical effect. ;-)

Back at the thread -

The third class of person dealt with in some expatriation effort was 'Jewish families'. But 'third class' begins to suggest ill-treatment - so the text says 'but...'. In the context of Jewish families and forced movement of people, 'concentration camps' come to mind. [Interestingly, the idea of concentration camps wasn't an original Nazi production; it was British, during the Boer war. But I digress.]

But the text wants to emphasize that the treatment at the transit camps was not nearly as inhumane as at the concentration camps. Not near = close. In terms of living conditions, the transit camps didn't come close to the concentration camps. Hence, 'but the closest they got to "concentration camps" ...'.

b
Hi
Thanks
It was usefull
So the third group were sent to transit camps, but the conditions of thoses camps were not as good as other camps of this sort and were close to concentratin camps, am I true?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi
Thanks
It was usefull
So the third group were sent to transit camps, but the conditions of thoses camps were not as good as other camps of this sort and were close to concentratin camps, am I true?
They weren't close to concentration camps. Their treatment was not as good as that given to the other two classes, but not bad,

b

Status
Not open for further replies.