How to describe a person who 'can't take a joke'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Would you please tell me if there's any adjective or word to describe a person who can't take a joke? As mentioned in an old post of mine, in Persian we use something like, 'it's beyound their capacity...they lack the capacity to take a joke...'!

This 'capacity' is also used for a person who can't hold their drink.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The word humourless came to mind.

I'll keep thinking.

Rover

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

Can't "serious" be used in this context? I've heard the phrase "don't be so serious all the time" occasionally be used, when people adress this quality.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
NOT A TEACHER

Can't "serious" be used in this context? I've heard the phrase "don't be so serious all the time" occasionally be used, when people adress this quality in a person.

You can be a very serious person but still be able to appreciate a joke. I have only come up with "humourless" so far as well.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
You can be a very serious person but still be able to appreciate a joke. I have only come up with "humourless" so far as well.

I have also found the word "unhumourous", but it's very similar to "humourless", so perhaps it's not a good find.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have also found the word "unhumourous", but it's very similar to "humourless", so perhaps it's not a good find.

I would expect "unhumourous" to mean "not funny", which is not the same as "humourless" when used to describe a personality trait.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could also consider po-faced.

Rover

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I would expect "unhumourous" to mean "not funny", which is not the same as "humourless" when used to describe a personality trait.

I found this word here ( humourless - definition of humourless by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. ). But since you say that it means "not funny", I assume that thefreedictionary is wrong. The source, Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc., doesn't seem very reliable. So far I have not been able to find "unhumorous" in any reliable dictionary.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found this word here ( humourless - definition of humourless by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. ). But since you say that it means "not funny", I assume that thefreedictionary is wrong. The source, Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc., doesn't seem very reliable. So far I have not been able to find "unhumorous" in any reliable dictionary.

The example they give - "He gave a humourless wink" does not suggest that the man himself is incapable of humour in that context. It means that the wink is not a "funny wink", it was a wink of warning. The man himself may have a great sense of humour and regularly spend evenings in comedy clubs, roaring with laughter.

Further down the page it reads "adjective serious, intense, solemn, straight, dry, dour, unfunny, po-faced, unsmiling, heavy-going, unamused, unamusing He was a straight-faced, humourless character."

As you can see, "unhumourous" is not included as a synonym in that context.

One of the things with "unhumourous" is that it can mean both "unamusing" and "unamused". The original question asked for a word for a person who does not find things funny so the "unamused" description partly fits. It is, of course, possible to have a great sense of humour but to be unamused by one individual situation, or to not find a particular joke funny.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Would you please tell me if there's any adjective or word to describe a person who can't take a joke?

It might be a regional thing but in my experience a person who can't take a joke, especially if the joke is on them, is often called a "bad sport".

I think the similar "poor sport" is more often used in reference to unfair or unsporting conduct.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.