Need your help with listening a dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Unfortunately, this time I could barely hear anything of this dialogue(Maxwell, R&B singer, in Paris). Any help would really be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_FPBxc40Q
(From around 00:08)
-Oh my god. You ??? a beautiful season here.
-If I ?? I feel myself ?? I've been like "Got damn I'm the man".
-But straight up, I have few friends here in the audience. I just want to tell them I love them.
-I can't say who but all I know is that that person who protects us... we don't know ?? protected.
-A special friend from air force base. I send you my love my brother. I wanna take you to a lake by the ocean... I wanna show you...

you've got a beautiful season here.
If I lived here, I'd feel myself, too. I'd be like, "Goddamn, I'm the man"
that person protects us when we don't know we're being protected

Thank you. I have two questions.
1. What does "Got damn I'm the man" in the context? What was he trying to say?
2. What is the usage of "But straight up"? I found that "straight up" means "honestly". I just don't how 'but' precedes 'straight up' because 'but' is usually for indicating contrast.

1. I don't really know. He was trying to flatter the audience by paying a compliment to the city of Paris.
2. He's using "but straight up" in the sense of but seriously. This phrase marks a change of tone away from the previous mildly jocular remark. He wants the audience to know he's now going to say something sincere and heartfelt.

I got it. Thank you for clearing up.

That's not what jutfrank wrote in post #2.

Thank you for letting me know that. I didn't proofread at all because I was kind of hurry, being ready to go work in the morning.
By the way, is it wrong to say "in the context" not "in that context"? I think 'the' is OK to use.

In the context and in that context are both correct in the right contexts.

This thread's subject should be Need your help understanding a dialogue.​ No period ("full stop" in BrE) is necessary in a title.

In the context and in that context are both correct in the right contexts.

This thread's subject should be Need your help understanding a dialogue.​ No period ("full stop" in BrE) is necessary in a title.

I will keep the rule in mind. Next time, I will submit a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back