Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I am reading Out of Africa, memoir of I. Dinensen on her time in Africa. In the book, there is a chapter named "The Élite of Bournemouth"
In this chapter the author told a story about a settler who had been a doctor at home. Once, the author invited that doctor to come over to help a native woman who was about to die in childbirth. The doctor came and saved the life of the woman and the child. But after that he wrote a letter to say that he would not come again to treat any Native. The author ended that chapter by following sentence:

"I myself would fully realize the fact, he felt convinced, when he informed me that he had before now practised to the Élite of Bournemouth."

I have googled and found Élite means Elite and Bournemouth is a place in UK. However I still do not fully understand the underlined words meaning. Please anyone (probably an English) could help me out on this matter.

Thanks

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The doctor might think he is too important to bother with native people as he is accustomed to treating the wealthy citizens of Bournemouth. He sees treating native people as beneath him.