Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
‘No impunity’: G7 vows tough, unified stance on Russia’s war
“There can be no impunity for war crimes and other atrocities such as Russia’s attacks against civilians and critical civilian infrastructure,” the ministers said.

“We remain committed to intensifying sanctions against Russia, coordinating and fully enforcing them,” the communique said, and would support “for as long as it takes” Ukraine as it defends itself.

Source: AP

At the first glance, the headline ‘No impunity’: G7 vows tough, unified stance on Russia’s war appears to be puzzling to me:"What does it mean?" I asked myself. Then I read the content, and found “There can be no impunity for war crimes and other atrocities such as Russia’s attacks against civilians and critical civilian infrastructure".

So the title might mean "No punishment for Russia?": No! G7 vows tough, unified stance against Russia's war - Russia must be punished!"

If it is the case, then the grammar of "No impunity" seems not clear enough , or even ambiguous to me; at least it should have been "No impunity?" with the question mark to ask a question that is important to defend the safety of our planet. I am not very sure. For the English grammar may have more implications than I think.

Is the headline clear enough to you native speakers?3.JPG

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"No impunity" isn't a question. It is a statement of resolve. Russia will not go unpunished. There will be no impunity.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'No impunity' means Russia is not exempt from punishment.

[cross-posted]

Odd. The grammar looks like the oppsite is true.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"No impunity" isn't a question. It is a statement of resolve. Russia will not go unpunished. There will be no impunity.

Does "No punishment" work too? I have no clue how to use the peculiar grammar.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what grammar you are referring to.

"Impunity" is a common word, while "punity" is not. The "im" is a negation.

"No impunity" is a double negative. There will not be no punishment. There will be punishment.

There's no special grammar involved.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"No impunity" in everyday language simply means they will not get away with it. There will be (adverse) consequences.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Got it. The definition is clear - "freedom from any risk of being punished for doing something wrong or bad". Somehow I misread another wrong definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.