Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A day after Netanyahu said Israel was bringing its “full force” with the aim of ending Hamas’ 16-year rule in Gaza, residents reported heavy airstrikes and shelling, including around Shifa Hospital. Israel, without providing evidence, has accused Hamas of concealing a command post inside and under the compound, allegations denied by Hamas and hospital staff.
“They are outside, not far from the gates,” said Ahmed al-Boursh, a resident sheltering there.
The hospital’s last generator ran out of fuel Saturday, leading to the deaths of three premature babies and four other patients, according to the Health Ministry. It said another 36 babies are at risk of dying.

Source: AP

What does "they" refer to in “They are outside, not far from the gates”? Airstrikes and shelling? Or something else?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I take it to refer to a Hamas command post ("they" refers to the people at that post). Israel says it's inside and under the compound but a resident sheltering there says it's outside.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it refers to the IDF.

The lack of context makes it quite unclear. I'm working only on what I know of the situation, not on the text itself.

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think it refers to the IDF.

The lack of context makes it quite unclear. I'm working only on what I know of the situation, not on the text itself.

The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) ?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes. The people who are attacking the hospital.