Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The singular noun phrase "this unusual instrument" in the following refers to plural antecedents "them" and "glass harps." Is this practice acceptable in a school essay?

Glass harps haven’t entirely disappeared, though. You can still find some street musicians playing them to entertain large crowds. If you’re lucky enough to catch such a performance, sit back, relax, and enjoy the beautiful sounds of this unusual instrument.

I'd appreciate your help.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The writer is imagining a single performance, involving a single instrument. That's why a singular noun phrase is used.

I'm not sure what you think is wrong with that. It sounds good to me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is the practice of using a singular noun to refer to an entire group of things.

The tiger is one of the big cats.
The guitar has been around for thousands of years.
The wheel was invented a long long time ago.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The sentence is surely correct on its own, but I am thinking about the issue of shifts in number, an issue that arises not only on the sentence level but also on the paragraph level.

Does anyone know how to distinguish the unfavorable kinds of number shifts from the appropriate kinds?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess you mean the shift from plural to singular. It is not, I think, a jarring one, and I don't think there is any confusion. When you can do that does, of course, depend on context.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Does anyone know how to distinguish the unfavorable kinds of number shifts from the appropriate kinds?

I don't know what you mean exactly by 'unfavourable'. I think that if the thought itself is sufficiently coherent, it will generally be expressed in coherent language, and it will sound favourable to the hearer's ear.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I guess you mean the shift from plural to singular. It is not, I think, a jarring one, and I don't think there is any confusion. When you can do that does, of course, depend on context.

What do you think of the number shifts in the following alternatives ?

1. Glass harps haven’t entirely disappeared, though. You can still find some street musicians playing them to entertain large crowds. If you’re lucky enough to catch such a performance, sit back, relax, and enjoy its beautiful sounds.

2. Glass harps haven’t entirely disappeared, though. You can still find some street musicians playing them to entertain large crowds. If you’re lucky enough to catch such a performance, sit back, relax, and enjoy the beautiful sounds of the instrument.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Some people say the version with "its" rather than "this" or "the" sounds wrong.
Do you share this feeling?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Some people say the version with "its" rather than "this" or "the" sounds wrong.
Do you share this feeling?

In sentence 1 of post #7, the is better than its but there's no reason to change the original this unusual instrument from post #1.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is this practice acceptable in a school essay?

It is to me- it one category of instrument with few variations of size, but you will be hearing one at such a performance anyway.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence is surely correct on its own, but I am thinking about the issue of shifts in number, an issue that arises not only on the sentence level but also on the paragraph level.

Your confusion is reasonable. You're wondering when the numbers rules you've learned come into force and when they don't. To us, the paragraph sounds natural and correct, but since English isn't your first language, you're looking for a rule that explains why.

Notice that the first two sentences are about the instrument in a collective or plural sense: Glass harps haven't disappeared. People still play them. You have number agreement there, right?

But in the third sentence, the focus shifts, and the number shifts, too. It would be just as correct to end that line with "these beautiful instruments" - or even "that beautiful instrument," meaning the particular instrument you're listening to.

Can all three options be correct? Yes, but the focus shifts with each. In saying "this instrument" rather than "that instrument," the writer is saying that if you hear one, you won't just be impressed by that one, particular instrument you're hearing. You'll appreciate glass harps in general.

Since a glass harp is an instrument, referring to it in the sense of an idealized, not-specific singular if fine - like the dog is a wonderful species, or the poem is Great Britain's greatest art form.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
So the demonstrative adjective this does not have to refer to a singular antecedent?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
So the demonstrative adjective this does not have to refer to a singular antecedent?

"This" does have to refer to a singular antecedent. Use either "this instrument" or "these instruments".

As Tarheel pointed out above, English has a practice of using singular nouns to refer to a whole class or type of things. To add another example to those given by Tarheel consider:

The bicycle was a great advance in personal mobility.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
But nothing overt before "this" is a singular antecedent in the OP. The potential antecedents are glass harps (plural) and them (plural).

There is a hinted possibility, though, i.e., an unstated type of musical instrument known the glass harp.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But nothing overt before "this" is a singular antecedent in the OP. The potential antecedents are glass harps (plural) and them (plural).

They agree with each other. That's all that matters.

There is a hinted possibility, though, i.e., an unstated type of musical instrument known the glass harp.

Actually, it is stated, as Probus pointed out: This what? This instrument.

Then Probus spelled out the rule you're looking for: "English has a practice of using singular nouns to refer to a whole class or type of things."
It makes sense now, right?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Instrument" is indeed singular, but it is not an antecedent for the demonstrative adjective this.
An antecedent is an earlier word or phrase to which another refers back, according to the Online Oxford Dictionary. No such word or phrase exists in the OP; only the implied singular the glass harp does.

The rule whereby a singular is used to refer to a whole class of things must be constrained ; otherwise, it would be hard to rule out the following:

John spent the summer reading Dracula and Frankenstein. Who would have thought he was so into this thrilling book? (This one seems wrong.)

John spent the summer reading Dracula, Frankenstein, and other Gothic novels. Who would have thought he was so into this thrilling book? (I guess this one is wrong, too.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am not quite sure what is still giving you trouble here, but your phrase "unstated type" is apt. When we use singular nouns in this way there is always an unstated type. To go through the previous examples:

The tiger ( a type of animal)
The guitar (a type of musical instrument)
The wheel (a type of mechanical device)
The bicycle (a type of vehicle).

Does that help?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If the singular the / this plus a noun can refer to a type or class, is there any principled reason why the "this thrilling book" example sounds strange but the "this unusual instrument" does not?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"The glass harp" is not mentioned in the OP. Only "glass harps" is.
The former is only implied at best.

The question is why "this thrilling book" cannot refer to the Gothic novel; "Gothic novels" is implied (by Dracula and Frankenstein) in the first version, and "Gothic novels" is actually mentioned in the second:

John spent the summer reading Dracula and Frankenstein. Who would have thought he was so into this thrilling book?

John spent the summer reading Dracula, Frankenstein, and other Gothic novels. Who would have thought he was so into this thrilling book?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.