Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please help me understand the following in bold.

When you are ascertaining whether or not a baby goal is sustainable in the SMASHing system, you need to keep in mind how many generations of goals you have made. A baby goal might be sustainable in the 1-2 day mark if all the other goals in that generation are of that stature.

Does the above mean "A baby goal might be sustainable for 1-2 days if all the other goals in that generation could also be sustainable for 1-2 days?" It's confusing. What does "of that stature" mean in the context?

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please define baby goals and SMASHing system.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please define baby goals and SMASHing system.

Let me quote the related part the book.

"I have developed a technique that ensures your goals are robust enough to get you from A to B. I call it the SMASHing system... SMASH stands for: Sustainable, Measurable, Actionable, Single-minded, Harmonized.... Is your goal capable of being sustained?... Your goals must be harmonized with your guiding values and principles....

One thing that stops a lot of people is that they become completely overwhelmed by the sheer size of their vision or goal. If you find yourself in this group, it may be helpful for you to learn how to make babies of your goals. This is the process of breaking down your goals until you feel comfortable with their manageability... all babies must pass the SMASHing test... and the sum of the babies must equal the larger parent goal... if any of the baby goals still feel overwhelming, then another round of making babies can occur. This has a cascading effect in that each generation of goals can be broken down into more and more babies until you are literally left with a daily action plan of things to do that are direct descendents of your big-picture finish line."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
of that stature = of an equal size
When breaking things down into smaller achievable goals, it is important to make them into manageable chunks so one of the goals could be broken down:

BIG GOAL = baby goal 1 + baby goal 2 + baby goal 3
But if one of the baby goals seems too big:
baby goal 3 = babybaby goal 1 + babybaby goal 2, etc so
BIG GOAL = baby goal 1 + baby goal 2 + (babybaby goal 1 + babybaby goal 2)

(I think)

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
of that stature = of an equal size
When breaking things down into smaller achievable goals, it is important to make them into manageable chunks so one of the goals could be broken down:

BIG GOAL = baby goal 1 + baby goal 2 + baby goal 3
But if one of the baby goals seems too big:
baby goal 3 = babybaby goal 1 + babybaby goal 2, etc so
BIG GOAL = baby goal 1 + baby goal 2 + (babybaby goal 1 + babybaby goal 2)

(I think)

Thank you for the help.

Your explanation is easy to understand, but I still don't figure out the expression "1-2 day mark."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The use of "sustainable" is confusing to me.

If you keep up a sustained effort, you are working at something constantly. Yet based on what he's said, it sounds like he wants the baby goals done in one or two days -- completed, not sustained.

(This type of writing makes me want to run screaming from the room.)

Status
Not open for further replies.