English rules without exceptions

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 9,923
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I was once told there are only four rules in English that have no exceptions. What are they? I seem to have forgotten...

I was once told there are only four rules in English that have no exceptions. What are they? I seem to have forgotten...

Rule number one: All English rules have exceptions !
Rule number two: If you think you have found a no expection rule, you haven't gone through the examples yet.
Rule number three: The exceptions of the rules are the most important cases.
Runle number four: Whenever you try to use the exception rule, you find a case where the rule works and vice-versa.

Oh, I was just kidding. I have never heard about these four rules. It would be interesting to know them. Right now I am trying go check whether the rule that says that only nouns/pronouns can follow a prepositon has an excpetion.

Right now I am trying go check whether the rule that says that only nouns/pronouns can follow a prepositon has an excpetion.
That shouldn't take long. Most prepositions are followed by an article, some by adjectives or adverbs.
"... into the deep red sun".

Where did you find "disconsider"?

I just made it up. I thought there existed such word, without even stopping to think about it. I have three points to say about it:

1) Such "words" are the ones which mark a non-native speaker. It is very easy to recognize a non-native speaker.
2) When you are learning a language, it is a common mistake to invent new words. Children usually do it when they are learning their mother tongue.
3) I am sorry about it, although "consider" exists, I really couldn't find "disconsider" in a dictionary.

PS But I bet eveybody understood what I meant !!

1) Such "words" are the ones which mark a non-native speaker. It is very easy to recognize a non-native speaker.

Sometimes a native-speaker (not just an Engish-speaker) does invent brand new words disregarding the concerns of prescriptives.

I just made it up. I thought there existed such word, without even stopping to think about it. I have three points to say about it:

2) When you are learning a language, it is a common mistake to invent new words. Children usually do it when they are learning their mother tongue.
3) I am sorry about it, although "consider" exists, I really couldn't find "disconsider" in a dictionary.

Yes, I'm sure everyone understood. My post wasn't meant to be a criticism, I was genuinely interested as to where you had found it. It wouldn't have surprised me to find that it had been invented by Americans and had now come into use.

Rule number one: All English rules have exceptions !
Rule number two: If you think you have found a no expection rule, you haven't gone through the examples yet.
Rule number three: The exceptions of the rules are the most important cases.
Rule number four: Whenever you try to use the exception rule, you find a case where the rule works and vice-versa.

Everybody comments on the (flawed) preposition rule, on my English mistakes,
on native/non-native made up words and still nobody talks about my "rules"?

It was not that easy to construct such rules!

(By the way, where are the four rules the OP mentioned?)

Everybody comments on the (flawed) preposition rule, on my English mistakes,
on native/non-native made up words and still nobody talks about my "rules"?

It was not that easy to construct such rules!

(By the way, where are the four rules the OP mentioned?)

I liked your "rules" they made me laugh. As for the OP's "four rules", I don't think they exist.:)

I like it. ;-) But I doubt your last point. Most native speakers would understand it (as meaning 'consider and rule out'), but most English learners would look in a dictionary and - like you - they wouldn't find it.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back