Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Following are the sentences I came across in the novel

1. What an incredible woman. She's ageless. No one would ever guess all she has lived through.

Novel are generally in past tense...what if i use had instead of has in the above sentence.

2. I have had the privilege of knowing Kate Blackwell.
Kindly explain the usage of tension.

Over a distant clap of thunder, Kate heard the governor finish his speech and introduce her.

why later part is in present tense I think it is just author's style. can I writed it as finished his speech and introduced her.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Following are the sentences I came across in the novel

1. What an incredible woman. She's ageless. No one would ever guess all she has lived through.

Novel are generally in past tense...what if i use had instead of has in the above sentence. Only if she is dead.

Kindly explain the usage of tension. This explains an experience "he" has had which is relevant to him now.

Over a distant clap of thunder, Kate heard the governor finish his speech and introduce her.

why later part is in present tense I think it is just author's style. can I writed it as finished his speech and introduced her. "She heard him finish".

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Following are the sentences I came across in the novel​

Novel are generally in past tense...what if i use had instead of has in the above sentence.

Kindly explain the usage of tension.

why later part is in present tense I think it is just author's style. can I writed it as finished his speech and introduced her.

It is not true that novels are written in past tense. A novel is a literary work and please remember, all Literary works are considered to exist in the present tense. So when describing the action or characters in a work of literary fiction, the present tense is normally used.

Status
Not open for further replies.