[General] scourge/torched cars/exacerbated/convene/rapprochement/aggravate/abate/reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Now it wants to protect people from another health scourge: salt.

War is the greatest scourge.

Flies and wasps are a regular scourge in summer.

scourge = something causing misery or death

He wasscourging by the memory of his misdeeds.

scourge = be in torments

The images emerging from Calabria over the weekend — of torched cars and angry African immigrants hurling rocks — were the most vivid example of the growing racial tensions in Italy, which have been exacerbated by an economic crisis whose depth has only recently been acknowledged in the national dialogue.

torch (v) = burn maliciously, as by arson, as in: "The madman torched the barns"

torched cars = burnings cars

exacerbated = make worse

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters that the six powers would convene in New York, probably on Saturday, to debate "the kind and degree of sanctions we should be exploring."

Congress convenes at least once a year.

convene = meet formally

But, the “orange” leadership is undoubtedly on its way out and there is a chance for a Russo-Ukrainian rapprochement.

rapprochement = the reestablishing of cordial relations

It turned out that I have a mild form of pleurisy that had been aggravated by the cold weather that morning, and I'm glad to say that the symptoms are already abating quite a bit.

aggravate = make worse

abate = make less active or intense

For the pets left behind after Hurricane Katrina, relief is on the way, but it's a race against time.

tt’s a race against time = it’s pressed for time

Rescue workers are worried most about pets locked inside homes and whose food and water supply may have run out.

run out = become used up or exhausted

Even before Tuesday's 7.0-magnitude earthquake that current estimates say killed tens of thousands, the country was reeling from a set of afflictions - both natural and man-made - that have turned the lives of many of its citizens into fights for survival more serious than they already were.

The state was reeling to its foundation.

reel = to be thrown off balance or fall back

He was running low on food and used what was left over in the kitchen to put together a salad for his guests.

run low = run out of

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Now it wants to protect people from another health scourge: salt.

War is the greatest scourge.

Flies and wasps are a regular scourge in summer.

scourge = something causing misery or death= A cause of suffering or harm Ok

He was scourging by the memory of his misdeeds.

scourge = be in torments= to hit someone with a whip as punishment in the past Ok

The images emerging from Calabria over the weekend — of torched cars and angry African immigrants hurling rocks — were the most vivid example of the growing racial tensions in Italy, which have been exacerbated by an economic crisis whose depth has only recently been acknowledged in the national dialogue.

torch (v) = burn maliciously, as by arson, as in: "The madman torched the barns"

torched cars = burnings cars

exacerbated = make worse= to make a bad situation worse Ok

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters that the six powers would convene in New York, probably on Saturday, to debate "the kind and degree of sanctions we should be exploring."

Congress convenes at least once a year.

convene = meet formally= come together, especially for a formal meeting Ok

But, the “orange” leadership is undoubtedly on its way out and there is a chance for a Russo-Ukrainian rapprochement.

rapprochement = the reestablishing of cordial relations= the establishment of a good relationship between two countries or groups of people, after a period of unfriendly relations
I hope for a rapprochement between our two countries, India and Pakisthan. .
It turned out that I have a mild form of pleurisy that had been aggravated by the cold weather that morning, and I'm glad to say that the symptoms are already abating quite a bit.

aggravate = make worse

abate = make less active or intense= to become weak or decrease Ok

For the pets left behind after Hurricane Katrina, relief is on the way, but it's a race against time.

It’s a race against time = it’s pressed for time
Haitians sought comfort in their faith, flocking to pray in church ruins as rescue teams raced against time to pull out any final survivors.
Rescue workers are worried most about pets locked inside homes and whose food and water supply may have run out.

run out = become used up or exhausted Ok

Even before Tuesday's 7.0-magnitude earthquake that current estimates say killed tens of thousands, the country was reeling from a set of afflictions - both natural and man-made - that have turned the lives of many of its citizens into fights for survival more serious than they already were.

The state was reeling to its foundation.

reel = to be thrown off balance or fall back= to sway or rock under a blow, shock

He was running low on food and used what was left over in the kitchen to put together a salad for his guests.

run low = run out of Ok
Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

All are Ok

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.