Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
X: Hi. How are you doing?
Y: Well. Yourself?

Is it correct to say "yourself" instead of "you" in the sentence above?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Thanks.

Yes, it is.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Thanks.
I don't think 'yourself' is correct there. There is no basis for replying to X with a reflexive pronoun. The "you" in X's question refers to Y.

Y: Well, and you?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I find it interesting that such a (seemingly) simple question would produce divergent replies from English teachers.

Perpaps "yourself" functions as an intensifier in my sentence, and is thus correct?

Thanks.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
It is a god example of the dangers of regarding one answer as the "correct" one. Either form can and is used in speech.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I find it interesting that such a (seemingly) simple question would produce divergent replies from English teachers.

Perpaps "yourself" functions as an intensifier in my sentence, and is thus correct?

Thanks.
Why would "yourself" be an "intensifier"? Bcause it has more letters? And
related to that, people justify many questionable things by saying things like 'It adds emphasis.'

Anyway, everyone is free to defend their answers to questions here.

There are rules and conventions for many things in the English language, including for the use of subject, object and reflexive pronouns. What I did was point out that there was no good reason to use a reflexive pronoun there.

You are right; it is a simple question. And it's up to people who give answers outside the accepted rules of English to say why their answer is correct.

Posters sometimes have to choose between and among conflicting answers.

Finally, while there can be differences between written and spoken English, some students may transfer the errors of spoken English to their written English, thinking that that English is in fact correct. Of course, many people beside the original poster read the responses to questions.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It is very commonly used in Irish English to my certain knowledge, and also in certain regional dialects in England. I believe that it is used in Scottish English, but I am not certain of that. Is that correct enough for you?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner

Thanks.

Jasmin,

Uses of reflexive pronouns in certain situations for purposes other than what they are prescribed for are felt tolerable (informally) for many users of the English language. The 'many' and those who do not belong to that 'many' have met in this thread. I for one belong to the latter group.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
It is very commonly used in Irish English to my certain knowledge, and also in certain regional dialects in England. I believe that it is used in Scottish English, but I am not certain of that. Is that correct enough for you?

The fact that it's used does not make it correct; I was expecting a grammatical explanation as to why it would be correct.

timmpage

Member Type
English Teacher
You post an interesting question. Although "yourself" is commonly used in this context, I would suggest that "you" (or "and you") is more correct because if you rewrite the exchange in full sentences, it would be:

Y: I'm well. How are you?

It would be incorrect to respond with "How are yourself?" ;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It would be incorrect to respond with "How are yourself?" ;-)

Yes, it would, but "How are you yourself" would not be incorrect.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
The fact that it's used does not make it correct; I was expecting a grammatical explanation as to why it would be correct.

Grammar does not govern English to that degree - it is far more flexible. Correctness is not the be all and end all of language - communication and comprehensibility are as, if not more, important, and often common usage is a fair method to judge acceptability [apart from offensive language, of course].

You can use both "you" and "yourself" in this context - both are correct and comprehensible.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Grammar does not govern English to that degree - it is far more flexible. Correctness is not the be all and end all of language - communication and comprehensibility are as, if not more, important, and often common usage is a fair method to judge acceptability [apart from offensive language, of course].

You can use both "you" and "yourself" in this context - both are correct and comprehensible.

I'm not disputing the notion that "yourself" is acceptable in informal English, but there does not seem to be any grammatical basis for its use in formal English.

"He is older than me" is also acceptable in informal English, but one would write "He is older than I am" or "He is older than I" in formal English (e.g., in an academic paper).

Most of us speak differently (i.e., contrary to the rules of grammar) in an informal context than we do in a formal context, but only because we choose to do so, not because grammar permits us to.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
As a non-native speaker, for this kind of situation (the situations where I know that the both are or might be used), I'd prefer the most common, acknowledged version. Since "yourself" may arise some controversies, I'd choose "you" over "yourself" just for a practical good.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Yes, it would, but "How are you yourself" would not be incorrect.

So is "yourself" in "How are you yourself" an intensifier?

Thanks.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
One could just emphasize the "you".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
One could just emphasize the "you".
Yes, one could, but there is a nuance of meaning between emphasising the "you" and saying "How are you yourself?"

Status
Not open for further replies.