[General] Do you see or watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

just4me87

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello everyone,

Do you "see" a movie or do you "watch" it?

What is the difference, if there is any?

Someone told me that in The Cinema/Theater, you see a movie... you don't watch it!

How accurate is that?

Thanks

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone,

Someone told me that in The Cinema/Theater, you see a movie... you don't watch it!

How accurate is that?

Thanks
***NOT A TEACHER***I'm pretty sure everyone here in the States would ask, "Have you SEEN 'Avatar' yet?" You might answer: I certainly have. I SAW it last night. Everyone was WATCHING it with 100% attention. But I got bored and stopped WATCHING it. I took a nap. My friends said they loved it and are going to SEE it again tomorrow.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello everyone,

How accurate is that?

Thanks
To me, there's no difference in meaning.

just4me87

Member Type
Student or Learner
***NOT A TEACHER***I'm pretty sure everyone here in the States would ask, "Have you SEEN 'Avatar' yet?" You might answer: I certainly have. I SAW it last night. Everyone was WATCHING it with 100% attention. But I got bored and stopped WATCHING it. I took a nap. My friends said they loved it and are going to SEE it again tomorrow.

So are you saying that both can be used interchangeably?

When I run it through my head, it makes more sense to me when I say:
"I am watching the movie" in lieu of "I am seeing the movie".

rlfwood

Member Type
English Teacher

I agree. "Watching" is the act and "seeing" is the result. If you ask me what I'm doing, I'll say, "I'm watching a movie." But if I want to know if you have ever watched the same movie, I would ask "Have you seen that movie?"

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So are you saying that both can be used interchangeably?

***NOT A TEACHER***I can't put my finger on it, but there is a difference between the two. (1) Hopefully, one of the great teachers at this website will answer you. (2) I just remembered that Michael Swan's PRACTICAL ENGLISH USAGE spends two pages explaining the difference. (3) I have only space to quote these words from Mr. Swan: WATCH is used to talk about experiences that are going on (He got into a fight while he was watching a football match); SEE talks about the whole of a performance (Have you ever seen any of Charlie Chaplin's films?). If you will carefully read my previous post, you may detect this difference. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.