Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
E.g., I think to solve the issue, you must reach out to the others in your community.

Q. Do I need a comma before "to solve the issue"? and why/why not?

Thanks in advance.

It's a dependent clause that comes before the independent clause, so you should put the comma between them.

E.g., I think to solve the issue, you must reach out to the others in your community.

You don't need a comma there. There is no reason to break up the first part of the sentence.
But I would add 'that' after "think".

I think that to solve the issue, you must reach out to others in your community.

Thanks in advance.

My apologies - I didn't see that you said BEFORE. I was talking about AFTER that phrase. I agree - no comma before! I'll go get my glasses now. :shock:

I am aware that "that" can be used, but I am asking about a case without the usage of that.

So no comma without "that" right? And the reason is because it is a "that clause"? or is there a better explaination for it?

So no comma without "that" right? right
The reason is, as I already said, that there is no need to break up the first part of the sentence with another comma.

Thanks in advance.
***NOT A TEACHER***vcolts, I am probably wrong, but I respectfully suggest that a comma before the infinitive phrase of purpose is fine: (1) I think, (in order) to solve the issue, you must reach out to the others. (2) I think that, (in order) to solve the issue, you must. ... (3) I think, (in order) to solve the issue, that you must. ... (4) I think that you must reach out to the others, (in order) to solve the issue. I believe that the conjunction "that" introduces the noun clause (you must ... your community). Thank you.

I agree with TheParser, I would probably put a comma there. It sets off "to solve the issue".

I agree with TheParser, I would probably put a comma there. It sets off "to solve the issue".
One could put a comma there if one was inclined to. The propensity to use commas varies from person to person.

Using 'too many' commas can make the sentence choppy.

One could put a comma there if one was inclined to. The propensity to use commas varies from person to person.

Using 'too many' commas can make the sentence choppy.
Yes it can, but in this case I think it doesn't.

"The reason is, as I already said, that there is no need to break up the first part of the sentence with another comma."

Why wouldn't you? On what grammatical/comma rule ground? That is what I want to know and why would anybody?

I normally would not put a comma there. My intention is more to find out what the exact/precise rule is, so I remember it better.

Thanks in advance.

What would be the comma rule for that?

Thanks in advance.

What would be the comma rule for that?

Thanks in advance.
As TheParser explained, "I think, to solve the issue, you must reach out to the others in your community" if you use the commas before and after "to solve the issue", this clause explains why "I think you must reach out to the others in your community". Do you see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back