Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
Is there any difference between the contexts these words are used in? (as in their definition the element "hope" is present) Many thanks in advance...(and how about "Distress" and "Depression"?)

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Despair is exactly lack of hope (at least it is one of the meanings). 'Spero' means 'I hope' in latin and 'de-' as you probably know means mainly 'without' &c.
Frustration is a feeling. Stress causes frustration. A frustrated person is irritated and impatient.
To be in distress means to be in trouble (a damsel in distress can be rescued by a knight).
Depression is a mood. Depression (mood) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think distress can also mean the same as depression.
But I'm not a native speaker.

Last edited:

phrasemix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Mehrgan,

I would say that "frustration" is a much less severe emotion than "despair". In my normal working day, I'd say I feel frustrated several times a day, but I don't feel a sense of despair. That's an emotion that I've probably only felt a few times in my entire life, or maybe not at all.

Distress and depression fall somewhere between these two. If I had to rank these in order of severity, I'd put it:

frustration < distress < depression <despair (Despair and depression are debatable, though)

There are some other differences also, though. Depression is usually an ongoing condition, while despair is usually a short-lived emotion. Frustration is closer to anger, while distress is closer to worrying or fear.

To really get a handle on these, do an Internet search for each one and see a few examples of how they're used.

~phrasemix

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I wouldn't agree that despair is always short-lived. It can last at least months for some people. It's a painful conviction and feeling that everything one built one's life on and everything one put trust and hope in is ruined. I think despair is one of possible symptoms of depression.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Despair is exactly lack of hope (at least it is one of the meanings). 'Spero' means 'I hope' in latin and 'de-' as you probably know means mainly 'without' &c.
Frustration is a feeling. Stress causes frustration. A frustrated person is irritated and impatient.
To be in distress means to be in trouble (a damsel in distress can be rescued by a knight).
Depression is a mood. Depression (mood) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think distress can also mean the same as depression.
But I'm not a native speaker.
I agree that these are all different words, not quantitative levels of the same concept. Any of them can be mild, moderate or severe.

I agree with your 'despair' = lack of hope.
'Frustration' has an essential element: the fact that something, internal or external, is blocking your will. Something is frustrating you. You are being frustrated by something.
'Distress' can be physical or psychological. It refers to discomfort, agitation and fear that something isn't working properly or turning out as it should.
'Depression' has a range of meanings, but always involves a lowered mood.

These things can all occur together, but do not necessarily.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Many thanks to all dear posters above. :)

Best wishes...

Status
Not open for further replies.