How the hell do you say words end with L sound?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 7,867
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Well I was watching Team America. It was a stupid movie if anyone didn't see it. Anyways, in the movie there were a girl making fun of North Korean Kim Jung Il not being able to prounounce the "L" sound. It was funny but at the same time it made me angry because I have the same exact problem. My English would be near perfect if it wasn't for god damn "L" letter! I asked my roomate(white) but he's no english teacher, he coudln't really teach me exactly how. I know you put your tongue back of your upper teeth ridge. But I need a better and easier explanation. Please help me out!

I think that's the only explanation, but it's not full. Start exhaling. Put the tip of your tongue where you were told to put it. Hold it there. You will obtain a constant [l] sound or at least something similar to it. Then just take your tongue down still exhaling. Don't stop the airflow even for a moment through the whole thing. You should succeed in getting the sound. After some exercises it should become easier and easier.

Last edited:
(Not a teacher)

There's a big difference between not being able to say a speech sound in isolation - just saying 'l' on it's own - and not being able to say a speech sound in the context of a word. Which is your problem?

If you can say 'l' in isolation, then it is a pure articulation problem. If you can say it in isolation and it is only a problem in the context of a word, it is more complicated than that.

Well I was watching Team America. It was a stupid movie if anyone didn't see it. Anyways, in the movie there were a girl making fun of North Korean Kim Jung Il not being able to prounounce the "L" sound. It was funny but at the same time it made me angry because I have the same exact problem. My English would be near perfect if it wasn't for god damn "L" letter! I asked my roomate(white) but he's no english teacher, he coudln't really teach me exactly how. I know you put your tongue back of your upper teeth ridge. But I need a better and easier explanation. Please help me out!

See how it is pronounced here!!!

Of course, you may want to take a look at other sounds of English. They are all here: video detailed explanation
:up:

This is excellent, thank you, Offroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back