My own experience tells me this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazar

Member Type
Student or Learner
I've learned pronouns used as direct objectives can't follow indirect objective as this sentence "He gave me it." But is it possible if the direct objective indicate not so much the very specific object as situation itself or meaning as we can see from the passage below?

For all these reasons, I think that it is better to grown up on a farm than to grow up in the city. My own experience growing up on a family farm in Colorado tells me this.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
I've learned pronouns used as direct objectives can't follow indirect objective as this sentence "He gave me it." But is it possible if the direct objective indicate not so much the very specific object as situation itself or meaning as we can see from the passage below?

For all these reasons, I think that it is better to grown up on a farm than to grow up in the city. My own experience growing up on a family farm in Colorado tells me this.

I would have to defer to the grammar experts to explain this, but "this" is very different from "it" in these examples. For example, you will not say "He gave me it" but you may well say "He gave me this." Or, of course, you may say, "He gave it [this] to me." What is the difference? The former ("He gave me this") tends to place a stronger emphasis on "this", implying possibly that there is a comparison, as in, "You received this but he gave me this."

Status
Not open for further replies.