[General] Pronunciation - Immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

I always hear native speakers who seem to pronounce 'Immediately' as [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ɪ ˈmiː[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] dʒ li[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT], but in the dictionary they teach us to pronounce [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ɪ ˈmiːd i‿ət [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]li[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT], please let me know which one is more common? Thanks.

W
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Hi Everybody,

I always hear native speakers who seem to pronounce 'Immediately' as [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ɪ ˈmiː[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] dʒ li[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT], but in the dictionary they teach us to pronounce [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ɪ ˈmiːd i‿ət [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]li[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT], please let me know which one is more common? Thanks.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I say it the second way. Should there be a /[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ət/[/FONT][/FONT] somewhere in the first?[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] ɪ ˈmiː[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ət[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]li[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] ?

Isn't it an AmE vs Br/AuE kind of problem?

I say it the second way. Should there be a /[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ət/[/FONT][/FONT] somewhere in the first?[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] ɪ ˈmiː[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ət[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]li[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] ?

Sometimes when I watch the British Episodes /Movies, some british men would pronounce like a "j" sound after [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] ɪ ˈmiː[/FONT][/FONT], I wonder if you have heard about that.

Sometimes when I watch the British Episodes /Movies, some british men would pronounce like a "j" sound after [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] ɪ ˈmiː[/FONT][/FONT], I wonder if you have heard about that.
Yes, but they'd still have a /t/ sound in it.

Yes, but they'd still have a /t/ sound in it.

Thanks Raymott. Do you know any other country people would pronounce /j/ sound, not only british, right? Also sometimes I can't hear people would pronounce /t/ sound obviously, is it a glottal stop?

Thanks Raymott. Do you know any other country people would pronounce /j/ sound, not only british, right? Also sometimes I can't hear people would pronounce /t/ sound obviously, is it a glottal stop?
Possibly a glottal stop, but more likely an unreleased, unaspirated /t/ before /li/.

The tongue tip is in the same place fot /t/ as for the following /li/, so the /t/ isn't released, and you might not hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back