[Grammar] Not sure about the grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenoplant

Member Type
Other
Being a full cycle service provider and personal approach being its everyday practice COMPANYNAME offers its customers and partners integrated, optimized, and exclusive solutions.

what I'm not sure about is the grammar:

Being a full cycle service provider (present participle related to the Subject)
and
personal approach being its everyday practice (also a present participle but related to a possessive adjective, not the Subject)
>>then SUBJECT+VERB
does it look all right? I mean the grammar, not the word choice

awatef

Member Type
Student or Learner
the whole sentence doesn't make any sense where did you find it?

xenoplant

Member Type
Other
on a site of a telecommunication company -- the text is translated and the translation doesn't seem right to me either. However I was asking only about what I was asking.

Being X and Y being its feature, Subject Verb bla bla bla.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
WOW! Where can I find a company like this? But, it's OK with a few changes as below.

Being a full-cycle service provider and a personal approach being its everyday practice, COMPANYNAME offers its customers and partners integrated, optimized, and exclusive solutions.

xenoplant

Member Type
Other
hmmm, thanks) but is it like average/'will do' OK or a little better than that?)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hmmm, thanks) but is it like average/'will do' OK or a little better than that?)
It's grammatical, but it's an awkward way to write it in English.
What was the source language?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It depends on the reader's perspective or point of view. If you were told to write a brief, commercial description of a company or business that identifies and promotes its strong points or qualities, on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being best, I'll give it a 5. As a consumer I might consider it a little exaggerated, but it is typical of what you might see in promotional advertising.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "full cycle" mean here?

I think the "being" construction is awful.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, the business/industry has not been identified here but "full-cycle" in the world of commerce usually means from start to finish or beginning to end especially for a product or service i.e. from raw material to finished product or in the case of information systems, from requirements definition to system implementation.

And "being", "awful" maybe, but not unusual. This statement is obviously taken out of context and that there was/is some preliminary description of the company's product/service as a lead-in to "Being etc.,etc.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The grammar is correct.

xenoplant, here's another example of the same construction: Being four years older than her twin sisters, and responsibility and maturity being her hallmarks, Annette was often asked to babysit her sisters.

I can tell you that if I wrote as a company description, my boss would wonder why he hired me.

(It's a telecommunications industry. So where does "full-cycle" start? I'm betting not with raw materials. I would understand "full-service" here: design and implement your system, as well as monitor, operate, and/or maintain depending on the customer's needs.)

xenoplant

Member Type
Other
The grammar is correct.

xenoplant, here's another example of the same construction: Being four years older than her twin sisters, and responsibility and maturity being her hallmarks, Annette was often asked to babysit her sisters.

I can tell you that if I wrote as a company description, my boss would wonder why he hired me.

(It's a telecommunications industry. So where does "full-cycle" start? I'm betting not with raw materials. I would understand "full-service" here: design and implement your system, as well as monitor, operate, and/or maintain depending on the customer's needs.)
thanks to all -- the source language is Russian and in Russian it's not so good either because it's (the Russian language) somewhat prone to heavy grammatical constructions. Honestly, I tried to make it less painful in En, but you see what you see.
full-sycle vs full service - yes I thought of that, and again, that's the way the put it in the original text. I'm not the one who wrote it.
:up::-|

p.s.
and yes, it's the last sentence of a longer passage

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.