Punctuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Do you write too?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Oops. That didn't sound right! :oops:

What do I write? Mostly comments on student papers, along with a mountain of student evaluations. No fiction, alas -- at least, not intentionally! My own writing is primarily on my subject area and I'm afraid it's still in bits and pieces.

But seriously, you should not hide your fiction from us. (I'm not so sure that sounds right, either!) :cry:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe we should start an on-line writers group. All topics welcome!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
So, the correct punctuation would be: Is she the person who asked, "Why?" as Barb_D said. Am I right?
I'm just asking for confirmation because I got a bit confused with all the posts :-D.

It's a very interesting question and your idea of the writers group is great.

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm just asking for confirmation because I got a bit confused with all the posts :-D.
I'm afraid you won't get it :lol:. We might as well settle for 'it's just a style thing' as Barb suggested.

On a more personal note: I've come to the conclusion that the more I think about something and start overanalyzing it, the more I'm in trouble of it :shock:.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I'm afraid you won't get it :lol:. We might as well settle for 'it's just a style thing' as Barb suggested.

On a more personal note: I've come to the conclusion that the more I think about something and start overanalyzing it, the more I'm in trouble of it :shock:.

Yes, you're right :-D

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, the correct punctuation would be: Is she the person who asked, "Why?" as Barb_D said. Am I right?

It's a very interesting question and your idea of the writers group is great.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning.

(1) I'm confused, too.

(2) I think that we have a choice: ...?" or ...."?

(3) I guess we have to make an arbitrary decision.

(4) I have no proof, but I suspect that most American publications probably would opt for ...?"

(5) Since I don't do any writing, this matter is strictly an academic matter. But I were a writer, my gut feeling would be ...."?

(a) I believe that most people accept the following as "correct":

Who said, "I love English"? (NO period after "English" needed)

(b) Thus, using the same pattern:

Who asked, "How old are you"? (NO question mark after "you" needed.)

(a) I don't have the guts to write ?"? which might actually be the "correct" answer. Or at least the logical answer. After all, there ARE two questions. But languages are very democratic. Writers have made it clear that they simply refuse to accept ?"?

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I'd accept: Who asked, "How old are you"? (to follow one of your examples) because the question mark would be valid for both questions.
However, as other poster suggested, I don't think we can get a concrete answer:-D

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Who asked, "How old are you"? (NO question mark after "you" needed.)

(a) I don't have the guts to write ?"? which might actually be the "correct" answer. Or at least the logical answer. After all, there ARE two questions. But languages are very democratic. Writers have made it clear that they simply refuse to accept ?"?

I believe what Parser does. In fact, logically, there should be two question marks because "How old are you?" is one question.

Who asked ... is another question. Therefore it appears to me that the following is correct.

Who asked, "How old are you?"?

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I believe what Parser does. In fact, logically, there should be two question marks because "How old are you?" is one question.

Who asked ... is another question. Therefore it appears to me that the following is correct.

Who asked, "How old are you?"?

Logically, yes, I'd be inclined to think so, but I've never ever seen this kind of punctuation; it looks utterly redundant as well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Logically, yes, I'd be inclined to think so, but I've never ever seen this kind of punctuation; it looks utterly redundant as well.

I agree that logic would dictate 2 question marks, but I have also never seen it used. I would vote for: Are you the person who asked "Why"?

To confuse the issue, the answer to that question would be: Yes, I am the person who asked "Why?"

To me, the question mark in the first sentence must be the absolutely last thing written, to indicate that it is a question. The second sentence is a statement of fact.

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
To confuse the issue, the answer to that question would be: Yes, I am the person who asked "Why?"
This is not confusing. Confusion arose due to the question-within-a-question type of the sentence.
To me, the question mark in the first sentence must be the absolutely last thing written, to indicate that it is a question.
I agree. To me there always should be some punctuation mark at the end of a sentence (whether it's a period or a question mark) to make it look a complete sentence.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I agree that logic would dictate 2 question marks, but I have also never seen it used. I would vote for: Are you the person who asked "Why"?

To me, the question mark in the first sentence must be the absolutely last thing written, to indicate that it is a question. The second sentence is a statement of fact.

That reinforces my point. In the first sentence, the question mark at the end indicates a question within a question, so another question mark would be redundant.
In ,Yes, I am the person who asked "Why?" the question mark is included in the inverted commas because it's a direct quotation from a question but what comes before is a statement.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
[STRIKE]Who asked, "How old are you?"?[/STRIKE]

When both the whole sentence and the unit enclosed in quotation marks are questions or exclamations, the question or exclamation mark goes inside the closing quotation mark.
What does Joseph Campbell believe happens when you "Follow your bliss?"
Did Daniel specifically ask, "Did you cheat on me?"

The use of a question mark with a quotation:

when a question is in a direct quotation e.g. Did Henry II say “Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" the question mark is INSIDE the quotation marks. Note that you never use two question marks together.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks for all the responses to my post. I told one of my friends who referred me to a grammar book which says that it is not wrong to have two question marks in a sentence.

I quote: Did she say, 'Do you love me?'?

Some authorities would omit the second question mark here, regarding it as impermissible.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Thanks for all the responses to my post. I told one of my friends who referred me to a grammar book which says that it is not wrong to have two question marks in a sentence.

Some authorities would omit the second question mark here, regarding it as impermissible.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. So it seems that grammar books can disagree. That somehow pleases me. And it is very good to know that there is no Board of Grammar somewhere with ultimate authority. Although, if there were, I would hope it would include some of the illustrious senior members here.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. So it seems that grammar books can disagree. That somehow pleases me. And it is very good to know that there is no Board of Grammar somewhere with ultimate authority. Although, if there were, I would hope it would include some of the illustrious senior members here.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

Could you name that "authority"?

Status
Not open for further replies.