"How to read fractions

• Thread starter chinst
  • Start date
  • Views : 99,268
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chinst

How does one read fractions? Example 3/8. Can it be read as "three over eight" besides reading it as "three eights"? If it is possible, then how does one read fractions such as 13/18, 24/26, etc?

Thank you very much

13/18 is 13 'one-eighteenths', which thirteen eighteenths
24/26 is twenty-four twenty-sixths

not a teacher

In mathematical speak, "three over eight" is a valid term.

So are:

13/18 -------> Thirteen over eighteen;

24/26 -------> Twenty-four over twenty-six.

In mathematical speak and in everyday usage, these are also valid terms:

3/8 --------> Three eighths

13/18 -------> Thirteen eighteenths

24/26 --------> Twenty-four twenty-sixths

In American English:

3 1/4 --------> Three and one quarter

1 1/2 --------> One and one half

Note the differences in British English:

3 1/4 --------> Three and a quarter

1 1/2 --------> One and a half

Whichever system you choose to use, just be consistent.

I'd say "one and a quarter" or "one and a half" and I'm an American.

How does one read fractions? Example 3/8. Can it be read as "three over eight" besides reading it as "three eights"? If it is possible, then how does one read fractions such as 13/18, 24/26, etc?

Thank you very much

And, I believe, in maths, you always go down to the lowest common denominator so 24/26 would actually be 12/13 (twelve thirteenths).

But that's not how you would pronounce it. That's like saying "three score" is pronounced "sixty."

But that's not how you would pronounce it. That's like saying "three score" is pronounced "sixty."

I realise that, but someone had already explained how to pronounce "twenty-four twenty-sixths". As 24/26 should never appear as a mathematical fraction, I was simply trying to give another example.

As a score in a test, 24/26 would be seen and would be said (in the UK at least) as "twenty-four out of twenty-six".

As 24/26 should never appear as a mathematical fraction, I was simply trying to give another example.

What about the equation " 24/26 = 12/13 ", couldn't it live peacefully in the Wonderful World of Math? How do you read it?

Twenty-four twenty-sixths equals twelve thirteenths.

How about such fraction: 47/51? How would you read it?

forty-seven fifty firsts

Either forty-seven fifty-firsts, or forty-seven over fifty-one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back