Not open for further replies.

dinghaizi

Member Type
Academic
[FONT=&#26999]Fill inthe blanks with the following[/FONT]
[FONT=&#26999][/FONT]
[FONT=&#26999]if any, if anything, if anyone, if ever[/FONT]
[FONT=&#26999][/FONT]
[FONT=&#26999][/FONT] Her expressions, ______ , do not match the occasion.
[FONT=&#23435][/FONT] We rarely , ______, get the benefit of modern medical technology.
[FONT=&#23435]③[/FONT]Yet abuses seem to have become, ________, more widespread.
[FONT=&#26999]④[/FONT]Our voices seldom, _________, were allowed to be heard in the media.
[FONT=&#26999]⑤[/FONT] They say nothing about who, ___________, is to blame.

Answers are:
[FONT=&#26999]①[/FONT]if any [FONT=&#23435]②[/FONT]if ever [FONT=&#26999][/FONT] if anything [FONT=&#26999]④[/FONT]if ever [FONT=&#26999][/FONT]if anyone

Can a dedicated teacher tell me how to distinguish if any, if anything, if anyone and if ever? thanks

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
[FONT=&#26999]Fill inthe blanks with the following[/FONT]

[FONT=&#26999]if any, if anything, if anyone, if ever[/FONT]

[FONT=&#26999][/FONT]Her expressions, ______ , do not match the occasion.
[FONT=&#23435][/FONT]We rarely , ______, get the benefit of modern medical technology.
[FONT=&#23435]③[/FONT]Yet abuses seem to have become, ________, more widespread.
[FONT=&#26999]④[/FONT]Our voices seldom, _________, were allowed to be heard in the media.
[FONT=&#26999]⑤[/FONT] They say nothing about who, ___________, is to blame.

Answers are:
[FONT=&#26999]①[/FONT]if any[FONT=&#23435]②[/FONT]if ever[FONT=&#26999][/FONT] if anything [FONT=&#26999]④[/FONT]if ever [FONT=&#26999][/FONT]if anyone

Can a dedicated teacher tell me how to distinguish if any, if anything, if anyone and if ever? thanks
Welcome!
Some of the questions are easier than the others.

2 and 4, with "rarely" and "seldom", refer to how often something happens. "if ever" also refers to how often something happens.

'He rarely, if ever, is late for work.' This means that, as far as I know, he is either never late for work or he is rarely late for work.

In 5, "who" refers to a person. And "anyone" is the only choice that clearly refers to a person.
'Who, if anyone, can solve that problem?'

1.. Her expressions, if (she has) any (expressions), do not match the occasion. This means that sometimes she may not have an expression, but when she has an expression it doesn't match the occasion.

3.. "if anything" is often used when there is uncertainty or doubt about something. Sentence 3 means that abuses might not have definitely changed. But if there is a change, it seems the change is to more abuses, not less.

'If anything, we have too much food.'
This sentence means that we might have just the right amount of food. But if it's not exactly the right amount, it's too much food. We don't have too little food.

I hope the above helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.