Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"Since Article 23(1) of the CRPA laid down in clear, precise and unconditional terms a prohibition precluding any Member State from discriminating on grounds of nationality against Russian workers vis-à-vis their own nationals with regard to conditions of employment, remuneration and dismissal, the Court declared that it had direct effect."

If one wanted to replace "vis-à-vis," what word or words could one use? How about "as compared to"?

Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Just compared to?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Since Article 23(1) of the CRPA laid down in clear, precise and unconditional terms a prohibition precluding any Member State from discriminating on grounds of nationality against Russian workers vis-à-vis their own nationals with regard to conditions of employment, remuneration and dismissal, the Court declared that it had direct effect."

If one wanted to replace "vis-à-vis," what word or words could one use? How about "as compared to"?

Thanks.
This is a difficult question. Normally, one would discriminate one thing from another.
Can you discriminate a Russian worker from a Ukrainian worker?
But the current use of 'discriminate' has two aspects; first you need to be able to tell the difference (discriminate) one from the other, and then you have to treat one differently from the other.
I wouldn't even use the word.

... precluding any Member State from treating Russian workers differently from their own nationals with regard to conditions of employment ...

It's obvious that if you're treating Russians differently in regard to the listed items, you are discriminating on the basis of nationality.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
This is a difficult question. Normally, one would discriminate one thing from another.
Can you discriminate a Russian worker from a Ukrainian worker?
But the current use of 'discriminate' has two aspects; first you need to be able to tell the difference (discriminate) one from the other, and then you have to treat one differently from the other.
I wouldn't even use the word.

... precluding any Member State from treating Russian workers differently from their own nationals with regard to conditions of employment ...

It's obvious that if you're treating Russians differently in regard to the listed items, you are discriminating on the basis of nationality.

The majority of that sentence, including the "vis-à-vis" part, is what the court in question wrote in its judgment.

I've never heard "discriminate from," but "discriminate against" is familiar to my ears.

I guess "in relation to" would work well, as well as "compared to."

Status
Not open for further replies.