[Grammar] present perfect x past perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdeExpress

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi there,

I gotta a question: (is it ok gotta)? :?:

I'd like to know which is the correct form is these present perfect continuous and past perfect continuous examples:

> I have been writing my essay for over an hour when I decided to start over with a new topic. :?:

> I had been writing my essay for over an hour when I decided to start over with a new topic. :?:

Please tell me why I should use either present perfec continuous or past perfect continuous.

Thanks a lot :-D

Adeexpress

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi there,

I'd like to know which is the correct form is these present perfect continuous and past perfect continuous examples:

> I have been writing my essay for over an hour when I decided to start over with a new topic. :?:

> I had been writing my essay for over an hour when I decided to start over with a new topic. :?:

Please tell me why I should use either present perfec continuous or past perfect continuous.

Thanks a lot :-D

Adeexpress
1. No, "gotta" is not OK.
2. Past perfect continuous is correct in that context.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Past perfect continuous is correct (your second example) because you are describing a past action that was completed before another past action. In your first example, using present perfect continuous states the action up to the present and then you revert to simple past which is not correct or, for that matter, not logical.
2. Although you will hear "gotta", "gonna", "wanna", "shoulda", "woulda", "coulda" in everyday conversation and they are generally accepted in that manner, they are not in my vocabulary when writing even in the most informal correspondence. My recommendation is to avoid at all cost.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi there,

In any case, you mean "I've got a question".
So your question is doubly wrong.
Also, "gotta" generally means "got to" not "got a". That's three strikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.