Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My question is how we say 0-0 verbally?

I heard a China English channel call it 'nil to nil'. But my roommate said it was not right and it should be said as ' nil nil '. Is he right? Thank you.

In the US I would expect to hear zero to zero or zero zero. The real answer to your question is that it depends on where you are and what the local customs are.

Have you ever heard of nil to nil?

My question is how we say 0-0 verbally?

I heard a China English channel call it 'nil to nil'. But my roommate said it was not right and it should be said as ' nil nil '. Is he right? Thank you.

Oh, no! I didn't want to know the score - I was hoping to watch the highlights after work. And I thought this would be the safest place to avoid finding out football scores!:-(

In BE it's only nil-nil.

Rover

In BE it's only nil-nil.

Rover
Only? What about "nil-all"? In sports roundups a score of 0-0 is often called "a goalless draw", and in the parlance of football 'pools' - betting on combinations of football scores (which score differently for 0:0 and (0+N):(0+N) - it's a "no-score draw". ;-)

b

Only? What about "nil-all"? In sports roundups a score of 0-0 is often called "a goalless draw", and in the parlance of football 'pools' - betting on combinations of football scores (which score differently for 0:0 and (0+N):(0+N) - it's a "no-score draw". ;-)

b

Don't ask me why, but we only use "all" when there is a scoreline higher than "nil". So it's "nil-nil", then "one all", "two all" etc.

I'm fairly certain that "nil" is used for "zero" in most sports scores in BrE, except for tennis where "zero" is "love".

Let me sum up a little bit: (correct me if I am wrong)

nil to nil---not commonly used in BrE or AmE;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back