Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

When he was drunk, he used to beat his wife and daughter; and the next morning, with a headache, he would rail at the world for its neglect of his genius, and abuse, with a good deal of cleverness, and sometimes with perfect reason, the fools, his brother painters.

a great deal = to a very great degree or extent

with a great deal of cleverness = with a very witty manner = with a very delicate turn or phrase = quite wittily

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

rx-f

Member Type
English Teacher
Your interpretation could be correct. "Cleverness" could also mean something like "intelligent argument".

Reactions: vil

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Dear Vil,

I'll be happy if you could explain how being witty fits here, I'm asking this because I always associate wit with humour not just cleverness. In your example, the man obviously tries to rationalize (actually justify) his bad behaviours. And from "with a good deal of cleverness" , I could infer that he uses some subtle logic, but for being witty he needs to mix some humour into it, which it's not something I see in your text.

This post of mine is solely based on what I understand by the word "wit". So, if I misunderstood it at all, I'd happy to be corrected.

Thanks in advance.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi dear euncu,

I couldn’t speak volumes about my interpretation of the expression in question because I am not skillful at the rhetoric (i.e. I have not a good grasp of the art of using English language effectively and persuasively).

Here are a few words concerning an inclusive consideration of the notion “wit”.
You are in right to think that wit = banter, drollery, facetiousness, fun, humor, jocularly, levity, repartee, but, in my humble opinion, wit = brains, cleverness, common sense, insight, intellect, intelligence, judgement, reason, understanding, wisdom.

wit God wot = God know

to have one’s wit about one

to live by one’s wits

the five wits

wit (n) the natural ability to perceive and understand; intelligence
a person of exceptional intelligence

Wit implies intellectual keenness and the ability to perceive and express in a diverting way analogies between dissimilar things: "Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words" (Dorothy Parker).

wit: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

wittily adv. in a witty manner; wisely; ingeniously; artfully;

witty suggests cleverness and quickness of mind <a witty remark>

As a result of that all it’s my profound conviction that my interpretation of the expression in question is 100% right.

Regards,

V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.