Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
What's the deference between Persian and Iranian?
Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What's the deference between Persian and Iranian?
Thanks.
Do you mean as languages? I'm not sure there is a language called Iranian.
As a general adjective, Iranian refers to Iran, and Persian refers to Persia. The adjective you use would depend on the context. Iran is the state.
So, there are Persian cats, Persian rugs, but Iranian elections.

Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Do you mean as languages? I'm not sure there is a language called Iranian.
As a general adjective, Iranian refers to Iran, and Persian refers to Persia. The adjective you use would depend on the context. Iran is the state.
So, there are Persian cats, Persian rugs, but Iranian elections.

Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Raymott,
thanks for the reply. I meant to describe "Iran" people.

ramtin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi.when you say (Iranian) you are talking about people that are living or lived in Iran and you want to show something like nationality or culture.And when you say Persian you are talking about language that used by Iranian and recently you can use (Farsi) instead of Persian.When you want to talk about ancient Iran you should use Persia and the Language that People used in ancient Persia was Persian because the last name of Iran as a one of most biggest empire in the ancient world was Persia.According to the situation you should decide to use one of them.For example we say (Persian gulf) not (Iranian Gulf).I am Iranian and I studied about history of Iran and another country.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
hi.when you say (Iranian) you are talking about people that are living or lived in Iran and you want to show something like nationality or culture.

We don't use "nationality" words (Iranian, British, French) etc to refer to people who simply live/lived in a country.

Your nationality is based on which country (countries) you are entitled to a passport from. It doesn't matter where you live.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
hi.when you say (Iranian) you are talking about people that are living or lived in Iran and you want to show something like nationality or culture.And when you say Persian you are talking about language that used by Iranian and recently you can use (Farsi) instead of Persian.When you want to talk about ancient Iran you should use Persia and the Language that People used in ancient Persia was Persian because the last name of Iran as a one of most biggest empire in the ancient world was Persia.According to the situation you should decide to use one of them.For example we say (Persian gulf) not (Iranian Gulf).I am Iranian and I studied about history of Iran and another country.

Hi ramtinm, thanks for your help.
So we say "Iranian Girl" not "Persian girl", am I right?

Since you studied history of Iran, I want to ask a question if you don't mind. This is just a matter of curiosity. If you feel like it is offensive or something, please, just leave out the question.

I have a colleague from Iran. When the first time we talked he wasn't so nice and didn't feel comfortable to talk with me. In fact he said something like he didn't want to talk to me since I came from an enemy country (Vietnam). So, the question is that do most of Iranian think as he does? and why? [I tried to recall the history but I can find any clue for this]. Thanks.

ramtin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi.Yes, You are right.It is better to say (Iranian Girl).Because You are talking about now and (Persian Girl) is not correct.And for your second question First I am sorry for this guy and second how says you are from enemy country?Enemy of how?You are like any other human being.You are man and anyone must act and behave towards you in brotherhood and friendly manner.According to declaration of human rights by UNITED NATION, principles 1 and 2 say:(Any human Born in the same and equal dignity and right and anybody has freedom without paying attention to Language,gender.race,religion.color and political beliefs.).My Country and yours signed this declaration and we should respect and act on it.I can not call you enemy because for example I am American and My country,United State,had terrible war with your country after attacking to embassy of Us in Saigon.We should distinguish between People and political leader.As you know most of people in The World called Iranian as terrorist and they said that Iranian supported terrorism but last year After cheating in election my compatriots showed to the universe that they are fighting for freedom against dictator and many of Iranian people killed by our government such as NEDA (go to youtube.com and watch Neda's death clip) we forced the world to accept Iranian as Liberal by GREEN MOVEMENT.At the end I want to say in everywhere there are different people that think different from each other and you should not prejudge because of for example one Iranian said you are enemy and then you decide that All of Iranian think the same like this guy.You should say to yourself that I am Vietnamese an I am proud of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.