Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am having a headache.
I having problems with my computer.

In both these sentences the word 'having' is used in the sense of 'experiencing'.
Are these sentences correct?

Thanks

You would say "I have a headache" rather than "I am having a headache." It's the same with any health problems:
"I have a sore throat."
"I have a broken nose."
"I have a cold."
"I have a bad cough."

The second sentence is fine though.

I'm With Stupid Re: use of the word 'having'
Thanks.
But if you interpret "having" in the sense of "experiencing" in this sentence i.e. "I am having(experiencing) a headache now."
Would it then be correct?

Not for a headache, no. It's always "I have a headache." You're right that stuff you're experiencing would usually be the ing form ("I'm having a heart attack"), whereas states you're in would be the basic form. But things like headaches, colds, flu, injuries, etc, come in the states category, rather than the experiences category.

The second sentence is not correct. I AM having problems........

Indian speakers of English often use the -ing form, even with verbs that don't actually have a Present Continuous form. Sounds great!

'I am knowing that.' Is this a direct translation from Hindi into English?

***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***

Don't use having if its meaning is owning.
I'm having a good time. (experiencing) :tick:
I'm having a computer. (owning) :cross:
I'm having a bath. (you're cleaning yourself/you take a shower etc.)
:tick:
I'm having a car. (owning) :cross:

Cheers!

In Singapore, India and many other locations I've been to, "I'm having a headache" is very common, and correct. It sounds a bit odd here in Toronto, but my wife says it all the time.

A bit like: 'I don't want to go to work, so if anyone asks, I'm having a headache today.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back