Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Go to Crawley. Use my name. He won’t refuse my friend, for I could do him an ill turn of I chose.

do somebody’s a bad turn = do somebody’s an ill turn = kill someone with kindness ; do someone’s very doubtful service; do someone’s harm

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Re: do somebody’s a good turn

Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Go to Crawley. Use my name. He won’t refuse my friend, for I could do him an ill turn of I chose.

do somebody’s a good turn = do somebody’s an ill turn = kill someone with kindness ; do someone’s very doubtful service; do someone’s harm

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V
A good turn is a positive service rendered, a favor. "He did his brother a good turn by providing him with a home."
I`ve never heard ill turn, but it certainly appears to mean to do something harmful.

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi riquecohen,

Thank you for tor amendment. I made again a foolish mistake. To be more precise this was a clerical error. As matter of fact there must to be a new title of my original thread namely “do somebody’s a bad turn”, the converse of the written in my post “do somebody’s a good turn”.

Mr. Golspie and the captain were old acquaintances who had been able to do one another various good turns.” (Pristley’s “Angel Pavement”)

I beg your pardon for my mechanical blunder.

V.

shoaib 1

Member Type
English Teacher
Re: do somebody’s a good turn

A good turn is a positive service rendered, a favor. "He did his brother a good turn by providing him with a home."
I`ve never heard ill turn, but it certainly appears to mean to do something harmful.
"To do someone an ill turn" means "intend to do good to someone but end up doing harm"

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.